Jimmie Wade and his Dixielanders (was Sam Morgan's Jazz Band)

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
      Dear Hugh

      As far as I can decipher the text, it's something like:

      She, she, the only one I love (twice)
      She, she, the only one I hug
      She for Texas, she for Tennessee,
      She for Denver, or (Darby, willing) all on me.

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
        No, I think he sings a line that is also heard in one of Jimmie
        Rodgers' songs:
        "T for Texas, T for Tennessee"
        Then I hear him sing : "And T for (Tampa? or Temper?) who thinks the
        world and all of me."
        Isn't there also a later version of this by Punch?
        Robert Greenwood.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Smith" <robert.smith@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Hugh
        >
        > As far as I can decipher the text, it's something like:
        >
        > She, she, the only one I love (twice)
        > She, she, the only one I hug
        > She for Texas, she for Tennessee,
        > She for Denver, or (Darby, willing) all on me.
        >
        > Kind Regards
        >
        > Bob Smith

      • Prof_Hi_Jinx
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
          To my ears, Rodgers sings "T for Thelma, who thinks . . etc

          Bob

          wrote:

          > Dear Hugh
          >
          > As far as I can decipher the text, it's something like:
          >
          > She, she, the only one I love (twice)
          > She, she, the only one I hug
          > She for Texas, she for Tennessee,
          > She for Denver, or (Darby, willing) all on me.
          >
          > Kind Regards
          >
          > Bob Smith

        • Peter L. Reid
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2007
            At 02:59 PM 1/6/2007, you wrote:

            >To my ears, Rodgers sings "T for Thelma, who thinks . . etc
            >
            >Bob

            I have 2 takes of "Gates Blues" with Jimmie Wade, Punch is on vocal.
            I also have a take recorded by Punch Miller and His Delegates of
            Pleasure,. recorded in NO in 1962 on American Music AMCD-57, again
            with Punch doing a vocal.
            On the latter version he sings a completely different 1st verse,
            combining "The rivers all in mourning" etc much the same as Sweet
            Emma on the soundtrack of "The Cincinatti Kid" (again with Punch I think)
            The second verse is as follows (to the best of my interpretation)-
            T T for Texas, T T for Tenessee
            T for Texas, T T for Tenessee
            Or is it T for Tampa, who thinks the world & all, of me.

            Peter L.