Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Sam Morgan's Jazz Band

  • Hugh Crozier
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
      While on the subject of unintelligible lyrics, has anyone deciphered Gates Blues by Jimmy Wade and his Dixielanders, recorded October 10 1928?

      Much of the first verse seems to be: 'She, she the only one I love'. Thereafter I get hopelessly lost and of the second verse I do not understand a single word.

      Hugh

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
        Thanks to Ron & Howard. I'm sure there's a web site somewhere dedicated
        to misheard lyrics, and I recall an article by Benny Green concerning
        the singer whose version of Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
        involved "three old ladies with flashing eyes."
        Robert G.
      • Martin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
          Robert: I don't know of a website that deciphers lyrics, but I do know
          of two rather old books that attempt to do so for blues lyrics. They
          are:

          "The Meaning of the Blues" (originally "Blues Fell this Morning") by
          Paul Oliver
          "The Blues Line" compiled by Eric Sackheim

          Both are certainly limited in that only one to ten items are transcribed
          for about 100 singers. Neither Louie or Sammy are represented, mostly
          country and classic blues singers.

          MartinJ
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"