Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Sam Morgan's Jazz Band

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
      on 4/1/07 16:35, Ron L at lherault@... wrote:

      >"In and out the town" perhaps?

      I'd say it's "in and out your town". The words in common are definitely
      right!

      Ron L

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
        While on the subject of unintelligible lyrics, has anyone deciphered Gates Blues by Jimmy Wade and his Dixielanders, recorded October 10 1928?

        Much of the first verse seems to be: 'She, she the only one I love'. Thereafter I get hopelessly lost and of the second verse I do not understand a single word.

        Hugh

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
          Thanks to Ron & Howard. I'm sure there's a web site somewhere dedicated
          to misheard lyrics, and I recall an article by Benny Green concerning
          the singer whose version of Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
          involved "three old ladies with flashing eyes."
          Robert G.
        • Martin
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
            Robert: I don't know of a website that deciphers lyrics, but I do know
            of two rather old books that attempt to do so for blues lyrics. They
            are:

            "The Meaning of the Blues" (originally "Blues Fell this Morning") by
            Paul Oliver
            "The Blues Line" compiled by Eric Sackheim

            Both are certainly limited in that only one to ten items are transcribed
            for about 100 singers. Neither Louie or Sammy are represented, mostly
            country and classic blues singers.

            MartinJ
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"