RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Sam Morgan's Jazz Band

  • Ron L
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
      "In and out the town" perhaps?

      Ron L

      -----Original Message-----
      From: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com [mailto:RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Robert Greenwood
      Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 8:45 AM
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [RedHotJazz] Re: Sam Morgan's Jazz Band

      Thank you, Howard. In the same song (Everybody's talkin' 'bout Sammy)
      does he also sing "He went all around in a NATURAL town, he couldn't
      find nobody for to run him down"? If so, what's a "natural town"?

      Robert G.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
        on 4/1/07 16:35, Ron L at lherault@... wrote:

        >"In and out the town" perhaps?

        I'd say it's "in and out your town". The words in common are definitely
        right!

        Ron L

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
          While on the subject of unintelligible lyrics, has anyone deciphered Gates Blues by Jimmy Wade and his Dixielanders, recorded October 10 1928?

          Much of the first verse seems to be: 'She, she the only one I love'. Thereafter I get hopelessly lost and of the second verse I do not understand a single word.

          Hugh

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
            Thanks to Ron & Howard. I'm sure there's a web site somewhere dedicated
            to misheard lyrics, and I recall an article by Benny Green concerning
            the singer whose version of Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
            involved "three old ladies with flashing eyes."
            Robert G.
          • Martin
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
              Robert: I don't know of a website that deciphers lyrics, but I do know
              of two rather old books that attempt to do so for blues lyrics. They
              are:

              "The Meaning of the Blues" (originally "Blues Fell this Morning") by
              Paul Oliver
              "The Blues Line" compiled by Eric Sackheim

              Both are certainly limited in that only one to ten items are transcribed
              for about 100 singers. Neither Louie or Sammy are represented, mostly
              country and classic blues singers.

              MartinJ
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"