Re: Sam Morgan's Jazz Band

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
      Thank you, Howard. In the same song (Everybody's talkin' 'bout Sammy)
      does he also sing "He went all around in a NATURAL town, he couldn't
      find nobody for to run him down"? If so, what's a "natural town"?

      Robert G.
    • Ron L
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
        "In and out the town" perhaps?

        Ron L

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
          on 4/1/07 16:35, Ron L at lherault@... wrote:

          >"In and out the town" perhaps?

          I'd say it's "in and out your town". The words in common are definitely
          right!

          Ron L

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
            While on the subject of unintelligible lyrics, has anyone deciphered Gates Blues by Jimmy Wade and his Dixielanders, recorded October 10 1928?

            Much of the first verse seems to be: 'She, she the only one I love'. Thereafter I get hopelessly lost and of the second verse I do not understand a single word.

            Hugh

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
              Thanks to Ron & Howard. I'm sure there's a web site somewhere dedicated
              to misheard lyrics, and I recall an article by Benny Green concerning
              the singer whose version of Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
              involved "three old ladies with flashing eyes."
              Robert G.
            • Martin
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                Robert: I don't know of a website that deciphers lyrics, but I do know
                of two rather old books that attempt to do so for blues lyrics. They
                are:

                "The Meaning of the Blues" (originally "Blues Fell this Morning") by
                Paul Oliver
                "The Blues Line" compiled by Eric Sackheim

                Both are certainly limited in that only one to ten items are transcribed
                for about 100 singers. Neither Louie or Sammy are represented, mostly
                country and classic blues singers.

                MartinJ
                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"