Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Sam Morgan's Jazz Band

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
      on 3/1/07 15:08, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

      >I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
      >as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
      >restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."

      How about

      Everybody's talking bout Sammy
      But Morgan's got the best of all ya.

      No, I'm not convinced. Have we no one who speaks Louisiana well enough to
      settle this?

      >While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
      >Morgan's Short Dress Gal?

      I think the last wrod is "style" but I can't connect it to "short dress".

      The scenario is clear anyway!!

    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
        Thank you, Howard. In the same song (Everybody's talkin' 'bout Sammy)
        does he also sing "He went all around in a NATURAL town, he couldn't
        find nobody for to run him down"? If so, what's a "natural town"?

        Robert G.
      • Ron L
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
          "In and out the town" perhaps?

          Ron L

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
            on 4/1/07 16:35, Ron L at lherault@... wrote:

            >"In and out the town" perhaps?

            I'd say it's "in and out your town". The words in common are definitely
            right!

            Ron L

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
              While on the subject of unintelligible lyrics, has anyone deciphered Gates Blues by Jimmy Wade and his Dixielanders, recorded October 10 1928?

              Much of the first verse seems to be: 'She, she the only one I love'. Thereafter I get hopelessly lost and of the second verse I do not understand a single word.

              Hugh

              >I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
              >as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
              >restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."

              How about

              Everybody's talking bout Sammy
              But Morgan's got the best of all ya.

              No, I'm not convinced. Have we no one who speaks Louisiana well enough to
              settle this?

              >While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
              >Morgan's Short Dress Gal?

              I think the last wrod is "style" but I can't connect it to "short dress".

              The scenario is clear anyway!!

              howard@coppermill. demon.co. uk

            • Robert Greenwood
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                Thanks to Ron & Howard. I'm sure there's a web site somewhere dedicated
                to misheard lyrics, and I recall an article by Benny Green concerning
                the singer whose version of Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
                involved "three old ladies with flashing eyes."
                Robert G.
              • Martin
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                  Robert: I don't know of a website that deciphers lyrics, but I do know
                  of two rather old books that attempt to do so for blues lyrics. They
                  are:

                  "The Meaning of the Blues" (originally "Blues Fell this Morning") by
                  Paul Oliver
                  "The Blues Line" compiled by Eric Sackheim

                  Both are certainly limited in that only one to ten items are transcribed
                  for about 100 singers. Neither Louie or Sammy are represented, mostly
                  country and classic blues singers.

                  MartinJ
                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"