Re: [RedHotJazz] Sam Morgan's Jazz Band

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
      Did you mean recordings or recording dates?

      Did you know that Sam Morgan's recordings are some of only some thirty-odd recordings that were actually made in New Orleans during the 1920's?

      Kind Regards

      Bob

    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
        I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
        as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
        restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."
        While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
        Morgan's Short Dress Gal? What IS he singing?
        Robert Greenwood
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
          on 3/1/07 15:08, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

          >I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
          >as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
          >restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."

          How about

          Everybody's talking bout Sammy
          But Morgan's got the best of all ya.

          No, I'm not convinced. Have we no one who speaks Louisiana well enough to
          settle this?

          >While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
          >Morgan's Short Dress Gal?

          I think the last wrod is "style" but I can't connect it to "short dress".

          The scenario is clear anyway!!

        • Robert Greenwood
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
            Thank you, Howard. In the same song (Everybody's talkin' 'bout Sammy)
            does he also sing "He went all around in a NATURAL town, he couldn't
            find nobody for to run him down"? If so, what's a "natural town"?

            Robert G.
          • Ron L
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
              "In and out the town" perhaps?

              Ron L

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                on 4/1/07 16:35, Ron L at lherault@... wrote:

                >"In and out the town" perhaps?

                I'd say it's "in and out your town". The words in common are definitely
                right!

                Ron L

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                  While on the subject of unintelligible lyrics, has anyone deciphered Gates Blues by Jimmy Wade and his Dixielanders, recorded October 10 1928?

                  Much of the first verse seems to be: 'She, she the only one I love'. Thereafter I get hopelessly lost and of the second verse I do not understand a single word.

                  Hugh

                  >I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
                  >as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
                  >restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."

                  How about

                  Everybody's talking bout Sammy
                  But Morgan's got the best of all ya.

                  No, I'm not convinced. Have we no one who speaks Louisiana well enough to
                  settle this?

                  >While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
                  >Morgan's Short Dress Gal?

                  I think the last wrod is "style" but I can't connect it to "short dress".

                  The scenario is clear anyway!!

                  howard@coppermill. demon.co. uk

                • Robert Greenwood
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Thanks to Ron & Howard. I'm sure there's a web site somewhere dedicated
                    to misheard lyrics, and I recall an article by Benny Green concerning
                    the singer whose version of Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
                    involved "three old ladies with flashing eyes."
                    Robert G.
                  • Martin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                      Robert: I don't know of a website that deciphers lyrics, but I do know
                      of two rather old books that attempt to do so for blues lyrics. They
                      are:

                      "The Meaning of the Blues" (originally "Blues Fell this Morning") by
                      Paul Oliver
                      "The Blues Line" compiled by Eric Sackheim

                      Both are certainly limited in that only one to ten items are transcribed
                      for about 100 singers. Neither Louie or Sammy are represented, mostly
                      country and classic blues singers.

                      MartinJ
                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"