Sam Morgan's Jazz Band

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
      Dear Stuart,

      It doesn't make much sense, but the nearest I can get to the words is:
      "but mama's gotta special young"
      My other theory is that it's some kind of patois, and in view of the various ethnic groups in New Orleans in the 1920's, this may well be the case.

      You've probably noticed that the singer varies the pronunciation in some of the repeats. In one place "special" sounds like "speckled", and in another "mama" sounds like "molla".

      I also did a Google search, but found nothing.

      Did you know that Sam Morgan's recordings are some of only some thirty-odd recordings that were actually made in New Orleans during the 1920's?

      Kind Regards

      Bob

    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
        Dear John

        Thanks for your kind offer of sending the transcription taken from the 'Band in a Box".

        I should be grateful if you would send me a copy via E-mail.

        Thanks in advance

        Bob Smith
        E-mail: robert.smith@...

      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
          Did you mean recordings or recording dates?

          Did you know that Sam Morgan's recordings are some of only some thirty-odd recordings that were actually made in New Orleans during the 1920's?

          Kind Regards

          Bob

        • Robert Greenwood
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
            I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
            as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
            restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."
            While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
            Morgan's Short Dress Gal? What IS he singing?
            Robert Greenwood
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
              on 3/1/07 15:08, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

              >I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
              >as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
              >restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."

              How about

              Everybody's talking bout Sammy
              But Morgan's got the best of all ya.

              No, I'm not convinced. Have we no one who speaks Louisiana well enough to
              settle this?

              >While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
              >Morgan's Short Dress Gal?

              I think the last wrod is "style" but I can't connect it to "short dress".

              The scenario is clear anyway!!

            • Robert Greenwood
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                Thank you, Howard. In the same song (Everybody's talkin' 'bout Sammy)
                does he also sing "He went all around in a NATURAL town, he couldn't
                find nobody for to run him down"? If so, what's a "natural town"?

                Robert G.
              • Ron L
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                  "In and out the town" perhaps?

                  Ron L

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                    on 4/1/07 16:35, Ron L at lherault@... wrote:

                    >"In and out the town" perhaps?

                    I'd say it's "in and out your town". The words in common are definitely
                    right!

                    Ron L

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                      While on the subject of unintelligible lyrics, has anyone deciphered Gates Blues by Jimmy Wade and his Dixielanders, recorded October 10 1928?

                      Much of the first verse seems to be: 'She, she the only one I love'. Thereafter I get hopelessly lost and of the second verse I do not understand a single word.

                      Hugh

                      >I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
                      >as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
                      >restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."

                      How about

                      Everybody's talking bout Sammy
                      But Morgan's got the best of all ya.

                      No, I'm not convinced. Have we no one who speaks Louisiana well enough to
                      settle this?

                      >While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
                      >Morgan's Short Dress Gal?

                      I think the last wrod is "style" but I can't connect it to "short dress".

                      The scenario is clear anyway!!

                      howard@coppermill. demon.co. uk

                    • Robert Greenwood
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                        Thanks to Ron & Howard. I'm sure there's a web site somewhere dedicated
                        to misheard lyrics, and I recall an article by Benny Green concerning
                        the singer whose version of Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
                        involved "three old ladies with flashing eyes."
                        Robert G.
                      • Martin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                          Robert: I don't know of a website that deciphers lyrics, but I do know
                          of two rather old books that attempt to do so for blues lyrics. They
                          are:

                          "The Meaning of the Blues" (originally "Blues Fell this Morning") by
                          Paul Oliver
                          "The Blues Line" compiled by Eric Sackheim

                          Both are certainly limited in that only one to ten items are transcribed
                          for about 100 singers. Neither Louie or Sammy are represented, mostly
                          country and classic blues singers.

                          MartinJ
                          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"