Sam Morgan's Jazz Band

  • Stuart MacBeth
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi

      A similar question! I'm stuck on the second line of "Everybody's Talking About Sammy" - does anyone know what words are being sung?

      Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
      Dear Fernando

      Welcome to this happy band!

      As far as I can make out, this is what Louis sings on "Lonesome Blues":

      Hey, Mama I'm so sad and lonely
      Just for you all day I'm blue.
      Aah, Mama won't you write me
      That will (enlight?) me
      To go through with this misery.
      Aah, I'm so sad and lonely
      Until I don't know what to do,
      I mean what to do.
      Say, honey, I woke up this morning
      so darn doggone disgusted until I cried.
      Say, but I thought about my baby,
      She said she'd write me maybe,
      And that is just why I could die.
      Oh, me, and I'm so sad and lonely
      Until I don't know what to do.

      I've made a direct transcription from the record, so I can't give any guarantees as to the accuracy.

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
        Dear Stuart,

        It doesn't make much sense, but the nearest I can get to the words is:
        "but mama's gotta special young"
        My other theory is that it's some kind of patois, and in view of the various ethnic groups in New Orleans in the 1920's, this may well be the case.

        You've probably noticed that the singer varies the pronunciation in some of the repeats. In one place "special" sounds like "speckled", and in another "mama" sounds like "molla".

        I also did a Google search, but found nothing.

        Did you know that Sam Morgan's recordings are some of only some thirty-odd recordings that were actually made in New Orleans during the 1920's?

        Kind Regards

        Bob

      • Robert Smith
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
          Dear John

          Thanks for your kind offer of sending the transcription taken from the 'Band in a Box".

          I should be grateful if you would send me a copy via E-mail.

          Thanks in advance

          Bob Smith
          E-mail: robert.smith@...

        • Mordechai Litzman
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
            Did you mean recordings or recording dates?

            Did you know that Sam Morgan's recordings are some of only some thirty-odd recordings that were actually made in New Orleans during the 1920's?

            Kind Regards

            Bob

          • Robert Greenwood
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
              I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
              as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
              restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."
              While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
              Morgan's Short Dress Gal? What IS he singing?
              Robert Greenwood
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                on 3/1/07 15:08, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

                >I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
                >as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
                >restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."

                How about

                Everybody's talking bout Sammy
                But Morgan's got the best of all ya.

                No, I'm not convinced. Have we no one who speaks Louisiana well enough to
                settle this?

                >While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
                >Morgan's Short Dress Gal?

                I think the last wrod is "style" but I can't connect it to "short dress".

                The scenario is clear anyway!!

              • Robert Greenwood
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Thank you, Howard. In the same song (Everybody's talkin' 'bout Sammy)
                  does he also sing "He went all around in a NATURAL town, he couldn't
                  find nobody for to run him down"? If so, what's a "natural town"?

                  Robert G.
                • Ron L
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                    "In and out the town" perhaps?

                    Ron L

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                      on 4/1/07 16:35, Ron L at lherault@... wrote:

                      >"In and out the town" perhaps?

                      I'd say it's "in and out your town". The words in common are definitely
                      right!

                      Ron L

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                        While on the subject of unintelligible lyrics, has anyone deciphered Gates Blues by Jimmy Wade and his Dixielanders, recorded October 10 1928?

                        Much of the first verse seems to be: 'She, she the only one I love'. Thereafter I get hopelessly lost and of the second verse I do not understand a single word.

                        Hugh

                        >I've long been bewildered by this line myself and have always heard it
                        >as a non sequitur comment on the comparative merits of local Chinese
                        >restaurants concluding: "Morgan's got the best foo yong."

                        How about

                        Everybody's talking bout Sammy
                        But Morgan's got the best of all ya.

                        No, I'm not convinced. Have we no one who speaks Louisiana well enough to
                        settle this?

                        >While we are on the subject, can anyone help translate the last line of
                        >Morgan's Short Dress Gal?

                        I think the last wrod is "style" but I can't connect it to "short dress".

                        The scenario is clear anyway!!

                        howard@coppermill. demon.co. uk

                      • Robert Greenwood
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                          Thanks to Ron & Howard. I'm sure there's a web site somewhere dedicated
                          to misheard lyrics, and I recall an article by Benny Green concerning
                          the singer whose version of Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
                          involved "three old ladies with flashing eyes."
                          Robert G.
                        • Martin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
                            Robert: I don't know of a website that deciphers lyrics, but I do know
                            of two rather old books that attempt to do so for blues lyrics. They
                            are:

                            "The Meaning of the Blues" (originally "Blues Fell this Morning") by
                            Paul Oliver
                            "The Blues Line" compiled by Eric Sackheim

                            Both are certainly limited in that only one to ten items are transcribed
                            for about 100 singers. Neither Louie or Sammy are represented, mostly
                            country and classic blues singers.

                            MartinJ
                            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"