Roy Bargy's Piano Syncopations

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      Good Morning and Happy New Year to One and All.

      Scott, I noticed that the links to "K'nice and K'nifty" and to
      "Pianoflage" in the Roy Bargy page play the same tune, namely "K'nice
      and K'nifty."

      The composers of "K'nice and K'nifty" are given in the Roy Bargy page
      under "Solo Discography" as "Roy Bargy in collaboration with Charley
      Straight." On the other hand on the same page under "Piano Rolls" the
      composers are given simply as Roy Bargy/Charley Straight". What does the
      record label give for the composers?

      Thank you.

      Albert
    • rag1916
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2008
        I can't believe no one has answered this yet. First of all, the
        correct spelling (and pronunciation) is "Knice and Knifty" (the Ks are
        silent, as in the word "knife"). The apostrophes were added
        (incorrectly) by the record company and are present on the record
        itself, but are not what the composer intended and are not present on
        the title of this on the sheet music or piano roll.

        This particular tune (along with "Rufenreddy", also recorded by and
        co-credited to Bargy) was written by Charley Straight in the late
        'teens as part of the series of piano-roll-only rags he started at QRS
        for their Autograph series and ended at Imperial, where he was in
        charge of the music department.

        Straight wrote about 25 of these things before Bargy joined in 1919,
        and then I don't believe Straight wrote any more. Bargy contributed
        his own 10 compositions to piano roll in 1920, most of which were
        published later, some remaining unpublished until the 1990's and
        2000's when they were transcribed into sheet music by dedicated
        ragtime fans. [Bargy later wrote 3 more novelty piano solos, two of
        which were published and recorded]

        It is unknown why Straight let Bargy add his name to these two
        compositions. Apparently the rolls were released months before the two
        men had even met, and thus aren't Bargy compositions (though Bargy,
        who was more of a Jazz pianist anyway, dresses them up in his own
        style on both the 78 record and also a later Ampico piano roll he made
        of them).

        There is a project in the pipeline of a folio of all the Charley
        Straight rags, including his ragtime waltz "Red Rose" (which WAS
        originally published in 1918, but is not mentioned in most ragtime
        books), and lesser-known tunes such as "A Sunbeam's Frolic" and "Wild
        and Wooly".

        -Andrew