Re: Everybody don't know / Lily of the Valley

  • silverleafjb
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi, again, Ingemar,
      But I guess you already knew all of that, after my Google research a
      few minutes ago...

      But definitely check out "Gospel Pearls."

      Cheers,
      Chris Tyle

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "silverleafjb" <silverleafjb@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, Ingemar,
      > It's possible you would find the music and composer of that piece in
      > the book "Gospel Pearls," which is what George Lewis used for his
      > album of spirituals. I'm not at home or I could look it up in my copy.
      > It's a useful little book to have...it just so happens there's a
      > couple of copies for sale on eBay right now, if you're interested.
      >
      > You'll notice Rev. Gates version is listed as "Everybody Don't Know"
      > rather than "Lily of the Valley." I found this type of confusion with
      > spiritual titles many times. (One that comes to mind is "Royal
      > Telephone," the actual title of which, if I remember correctly, is
      > "Telephone to Jesus.") When pulling "Everybody Don't Know" up on
      > allmusic.com, I came across the title "Everybody Ought to Know" by the
      > Oak Ridge Boys. Same tune, composer credit given as "Deaton." Another
      > album listing shows composer credit to "Loes," and a check at
      > ascap.com turns up the name Harry Dixon Loes, although that title is
      > not listed!
      >
      > So you may have to look up a number of titles to find the earliest
      > recording.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Chris Tyle

    • Tony Standish
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        Hi.
        Another Lilly of the Valley was recorded in Melbourne, Ausrtralia by Graham
        Bennett's Hot Sands Jazz Band, back in December, 1963. It's on an East Audio
        EP EAS-004. The band included Frank Turville (tpt), Campbell Burnap (tbn),
        Paul Martin (clt), Willie Watt (bjo), Graham Bennett (d) and Ken Sluce (bs).
        Frank and Graham are no longer with us; Paul lives - and plays - in
        Tasmania; Campbell lives - and still plays, as far as I know - in London;
        Willie is still in Melbourne, still playing. I don't know what became of Ken
        Tony Standish (who wrote the sleeve notes).