Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Morton Library of Cong. on Rounder

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      Maybe a slight mistake on Bill Knowlin's part - the slimmer version doesn't contain the book (Mr Jelly Roll) and I think the additional material he means was on a CD as a pdf file with the first ediition as well. The big booklet with an essay by John Szwed is included in the slimmer box. The sound isn't as bad as I anticipated, but a direct comparison shows that Rounder's 4 CDs of music only sounds better - at least superficially. If you have both sets, it is advisable to hang on to the music only as well.

      Best regards and a happy new year,

      Michael Rader

    • Mike Meddings
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hello Michael,

        Yes --- you are correct! Here is the URL for the variants available
        of JRMs Rounder LoC recordings on CD:

        http://www.rounder.com/?id=artistHome.php&musicalGroupId=559

        Happy New Year.

        MM

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
        wrote:

        > Maybe a slight mistake on Bill Knowlin's part - the slimmer version
        doesn't contain the book (Mr Jelly Roll) and I think the additional
        material he means was on a CD as a pdf file with the first ediition
        as well. The big booklet with an essay by John Szwed is included in
        the slimmer box. The sound isn't as bad as I anticipated, but a
        direct comparison shows that Rounder's 4 CDs of music only sounds
        better - at least superficially. If you have both sets, it is
        advisable to hang on to the music only as well.

        > Best regards and a happy new year,
        >
        > Michael Rader

      • Hugh Crozier
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
          OK thanks - yes I do have the music only version also. It looks as though the quality of the CDs on both versions of the full set is the same. I think this solves my dilemma! I also have the Riverside issue so anything sounds better by comparison.

          Hugh