Re: Morton Library of Cong. on Rounder

  • Mike Meddings
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
      I've just been in touch with Bill Nowlin of Rounder --- here is what
      he wrote:

      **We still have copies of the full set. The slimmer package has
      everything that full package has, but the notes are contained in PDF
      files.**

      MM

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
        Maybe a slight mistake on Bill Knowlin's part - the slimmer version doesn't contain the book (Mr Jelly Roll) and I think the additional material he means was on a CD as a pdf file with the first ediition as well. The big booklet with an essay by John Szwed is included in the slimmer box. The sound isn't as bad as I anticipated, but a direct comparison shows that Rounder's 4 CDs of music only sounds better - at least superficially. If you have both sets, it is advisable to hang on to the music only as well.

        Best regards and a happy new year,

        Michael Rader

      • Mike Meddings
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
          Hello Michael,

          Yes --- you are correct! Here is the URL for the variants available
          of JRMs Rounder LoC recordings on CD:

          http://www.rounder.com/?id=artistHome.php&musicalGroupId=559

          Happy New Year.

          MM

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
          wrote:

          > Maybe a slight mistake on Bill Knowlin's part - the slimmer version
          doesn't contain the book (Mr Jelly Roll) and I think the additional
          material he means was on a CD as a pdf file with the first ediition
          as well. The big booklet with an essay by John Szwed is included in
          the slimmer box. The sound isn't as bad as I anticipated, but a
          direct comparison shows that Rounder's 4 CDs of music only sounds
          better - at least superficially. If you have both sets, it is
          advisable to hang on to the music only as well.

          > Best regards and a happy new year,
          >
          > Michael Rader

        • Hugh Crozier
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
            OK thanks - yes I do have the music only version also. It looks as though the quality of the CDs on both versions of the full set is the same. I think this solves my dilemma! I also have the Riverside issue so anything sounds better by comparison.

            Hugh