Everybody don't know / Lily of the Valley

  • Ingemar Wågerman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2006
      The first recording of Everybody don't Know / Lily of the Valley with
      vocal was Rev.F.W. Mc Gee (1930), who sang one chorus "Everybody don´t know"
      (2x) "who Jesus is" (2x) - not the "He´s the Lily of the Valley" part (maybe
      it was omitted because of lack of space). The first recording with complete
      vocal as far as I know was George Lewis Oxford Series Vol. 12 (1954) with
      vocal by Joe Watkins. Does anybody know any earlier recordings with vocal? I
      still don´t know the origin of the tune. Maybe it was written by McGee.

      I have found 140 recordings of the "Traditional" Lily of the Valley. I guess
      there are more! Please contact me off-list - maybe someone can help me to
      add some recordings!

      A Happy New Year to all

      Ingemar Wagerman
      Gota River Jazzmen
      Gothenburg Sweden
    • silverleafjb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        Hi, Ingemar,
        It's possible you would find the music and composer of that piece in
        the book "Gospel Pearls," which is what George Lewis used for his
        album of spirituals. I'm not at home or I could look it up in my copy.
        It's a useful little book to have...it just so happens there's a
        couple of copies for sale on eBay right now, if you're interested.

        You'll notice Rev. Gates version is listed as "Everybody Don't Know"
        rather than "Lily of the Valley." I found this type of confusion with
        spiritual titles many times. (One that comes to mind is "Royal
        Telephone," the actual title of which, if I remember correctly, is
        "Telephone to Jesus.") When pulling "Everybody Don't Know" up on
        allmusic.com, I came across the title "Everybody Ought to Know" by the
        Oak Ridge Boys. Same tune, composer credit given as "Deaton." Another
        album listing shows composer credit to "Loes," and a check at
        ascap.com turns up the name Harry Dixon Loes, although that title is
        not listed!

        So you may have to look up a number of titles to find the earliest
        recording.

        Cheers,
        Chris Tyle
      • silverleafjb
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
          Hi, again, Ingemar,
          But I guess you already knew all of that, after my Google research a
          few minutes ago...

          But definitely check out "Gospel Pearls."

          Cheers,
          Chris Tyle

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "silverleafjb" <silverleafjb@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi, Ingemar,
          > It's possible you would find the music and composer of that piece in
          > the book "Gospel Pearls," which is what George Lewis used for his
          > album of spirituals. I'm not at home or I could look it up in my copy.
          > It's a useful little book to have...it just so happens there's a
          > couple of copies for sale on eBay right now, if you're interested.
          >
          > You'll notice Rev. Gates version is listed as "Everybody Don't Know"
          > rather than "Lily of the Valley." I found this type of confusion with
          > spiritual titles many times. (One that comes to mind is "Royal
          > Telephone," the actual title of which, if I remember correctly, is
          > "Telephone to Jesus.") When pulling "Everybody Don't Know" up on
          > allmusic.com, I came across the title "Everybody Ought to Know" by the
          > Oak Ridge Boys. Same tune, composer credit given as "Deaton." Another
          > album listing shows composer credit to "Loes," and a check at
          > ascap.com turns up the name Harry Dixon Loes, although that title is
          > not listed!
          >
          > So you may have to look up a number of titles to find the earliest
          > recording.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Chris Tyle

        • Tony Standish
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
            Hi.
            Another Lilly of the Valley was recorded in Melbourne, Ausrtralia by Graham
            Bennett's Hot Sands Jazz Band, back in December, 1963. It's on an East Audio
            EP EAS-004. The band included Frank Turville (tpt), Campbell Burnap (tbn),
            Paul Martin (clt), Willie Watt (bjo), Graham Bennett (d) and Ken Sluce (bs).
            Frank and Graham are no longer with us; Paul lives - and plays - in
            Tasmania; Campbell lives - and still plays, as far as I know - in London;
            Willie is still in Melbourne, still playing. I don't know what became of Ken
            Tony Standish (who wrote the sleeve notes).