Re: [RedHotJazz] Tramp Band

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
      on 13/4/05 12:32, Pavel Pitra at Pavel.Pitra@... wrote:

      > Hello to all,
      >
      > some (long) time ago, I bought the Vol. 5 of the Washboard Rhythm
      > Kings on Collector's Classics CD. Unfortunately, this series includes
      > no notes, only a discography of the tracks. On this CD, there are a
      > couple of tracks by the "Tramp Band" and the "Scorpion Washboard
      > Band"; although the matrix numbers are indicated, there is no
      > indication about the recording date or place. I didn't find this
      > information in the Rust's Jazz Records either. Does someone know
      > anything more precise about these recordings? The CD covers the
      > period 1930-31, but some tracks are from 1935...

      On The Tramp Band, see my article in Names & Numbers 29, but if you had this
      you wouldn't need to ask!

      Basic details are:

      The Tramp Band
      Unknown, k/v; unknown, k; prob. Lester ŒPinky¹ Johnson, p/v-2; prob. Floyd
      ŒButter¹ McDaniel, g/v-1; unknown, sb/v-2; prob. Al Cowans, wb; prob. one of
      the kazoo players, perc-2/v-2; ensemble v; Lester ŒPinky¹ Johnson, dir.
      New York City Wednesday, 10 March 1937
      M-208-1 or -2 Miss Linda Brown, Part 1 -1 Master unissued;
      CD: Collector¹s Classics(Da) COCD30; Bear Family(G) BCD16340BL
      M-209-1 or -2 Miss Linda Brown, Part 2 -2 Master unissued;
      CD: Collector¹s Classics(Da) COCD30; Bear Family(G) BCD16340BL
      Test pressings showing takes -1 and -2 are aurally identical and the CDs
      listed use the same performance.
      Each of the instrumentalists noted introduces his own solo with a sung
      verse.
      Collector¹s Classics(Da) COCD30 quotes the personnel: Harry Fox, k/v; George
      Alfonzo, k; Woodrow ŒBuddy¹ Johnson, p; Ernest Williams, g; Edward ŒEddie¹
      Price, sb; Luke Martin, wb. This is the band that came to Europe with the
      Cotton Club Revue in June 1937 and is named in both programmes and ships¹
      passenger lists. (But it was recruited specially for the trip and is not the
      band which appeared at the Cotton Club and is heard on the records.)

      Collector's Classics unfortunately concealed the origin from themselves and
      everybody else by means of a typo in the matrix numbers which threw
      everybody off the track.

      The Scorpion Washboard Band are Crown masters dating from early June 1933.
      Tony Russell's Country Music Discography dates the preceding C-2089 thru
      C2090, which are by Dwight Butcher as Slim Oakdale to 31 May 1933, and
      Butcher's next session on C-2099/2100 to 13 June 1933. This suggests that
      precise dates are available somewhere for Crown masters but I don't have
      them, nor do they appear in Robert Olsen & Bill Korst's "Two Bits For Two
      Hits" Crown record and master listing (1993). The Scorpion sides were not
      issued by Crown and appeared only in the later 30s on Varsity 6003. Most
      Race Varsitys are pseudonymous and I wonder if this is even the name they
      were recorded under. Early editions of Rust associate them with the white
      bandleader Joel Shaw, but I think we can forget that!

    • Pavel Pitra
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
        Hello Howard,

        thanks a lot for this detailed information that goes far beyond of
        what I dared to expect! It's in moments like this that one really
        appreciates the existence of a list like this. Thanks a lot again!

        unfortunately, as you understood..., I didn't read your article in
        Names & Numbers. What is more reproachable is that although I am a
        collector interested in dates, "names and numbers", I didn't even
        know that such a magazine existed. could you give me some more
        information about it? where to get it, what does it cover etc.
        (perhaps a web address?)

        Once more, thank you!

        cheers, Pavel
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
          on 13/4/05 13:21, Pavel Pitra at Pavel.Pitra@... wrote:

          > thanks a lot for this detailed information that goes far beyond of
          > what I dared to expect! It's in moments like this that one really
          > appreciates the existence of a list like this. Thanks a lot again!
          >
          > unfortunately, as you understood..., I didn't read your article in
          > Names & Numbers. What is more reproachable is that although I am a
          > collector interested in dates, "names and numbers", I didn't even
          > know that such a magazine existed. could you give me some more
          > information about it? where to get it, what does it cover etc.
          > (perhaps a web address?)

          Names & Numbers is a quarterly magazine devoted to jazz and blues
          discography (all eras). The current issue is No. 32 (January 2005) with No.
          33 imminent.

          It is 20 euros for 4 issues from Gerard J. Hoogeveen, Reine Claudestraat 15,
          1326 JC Almere, Netherlands. They take Visa cards.

          If you e-mail Gerard at <gehojazz@...>, I expect he will send you a
          sample copy.

          (It is in English by the way!)

        • Scott Alexander
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
            For those who are interested you can hear the Scorpion Washboard Band here:

            http://www.redhotjazz.com/swb.html

            Scott Alexander
            The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            www.redhotjazz.com

            --

            Scott Alexander
            The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
              Tiny Grimes played piano (!) with the Tramp Band in New York City during
              1939, but I don't know if he recorded with the band, which then consisted of
              7 pieces.

              Also I don't know if the 1939 date is representative of any recording date
              by the band.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
                on 14/4/05 2:24, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

                > Tiny Grimes played piano (!) with the Tramp Band in New York City during
                > 1939, but I don't know if he recorded with the band, which then consisted of
                > 7 pieces.
                >
                > Also I don't know if the 1939 date is representative of any recording date
                > by the band.
                >
                > Bob

                The 1937 Master session was their only recording date, but they made films
                in 1938 (Carnival Show) and 1943 (Stormy Weather and 5 Soundies under the
                name Musical Madcaps). The 1943 personnel is known, the 1938 personnel is
                not, but I believe Pinky Johnson was still directing the band at this time
                so he will have been the pianist.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
                  on 13/4/05 18:44, Scott Alexander at scott@... wrote:

                  > For those who are interested you can hear the Scorpion Washboard Band here:

                  Tony Russell tells me that the Crown recording dates quoted in his Country
                  Music Discography come from RCA filing generated when RCA pressed the Crown
                  discs concerned.

                  As the Scorpion Washboard Band sides were not issued by Crown no filing was
                  generated for them.

                  Sucks.