Morton Library of Cong. on Rounder

  • john schott
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
      Dear all,

      I see Rounder has reissued the Morton box in a slimmer package, and
      without the book. I believe all other elements are the same - remastering,
      pdf files on disc 8, and liner notes. If anyone knows any different, I would
      be curious to know.

      John Schott
    • Mike Meddings
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
        Hello John,

        What is your source of the information below?

        MM

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "john schott" <john@...> wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > I see Rounder has reissued the Morton box in a slimmer package,
        and
        > without the book. I believe all other elements are the same -
        remastering,
        > pdf files on disc 8, and liner notes. If anyone knows any
        different, I would
        > be curious to know.
        >
        > John Schott

      • john schott
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
          Just observation at my friendly neighborhood record shop.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
            I have a copy of this version, but can't comment on the transfers, since I've never heard the first edition.

            Best regards,

            Michael Rader

            Jetzt gratis testen! http://freemail.web.de/home/landingpad/?mc=021130
          • Mike Meddings
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
              I've just been in touch with Bill Nowlin of Rounder --- here is what
              he wrote:

              **We still have copies of the full set. The slimmer package has
              everything that full package has, but the notes are contained in PDF
              files.**

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                Maybe a slight mistake on Bill Knowlin's part - the slimmer version doesn't contain the book (Mr Jelly Roll) and I think the additional material he means was on a CD as a pdf file with the first ediition as well. The big booklet with an essay by John Szwed is included in the slimmer box. The sound isn't as bad as I anticipated, but a direct comparison shows that Rounder's 4 CDs of music only sounds better - at least superficially. If you have both sets, it is advisable to hang on to the music only as well.

                Best regards and a happy new year,

                Michael Rader

              • Mike Meddings
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                  Hello Michael,

                  Yes --- you are correct! Here is the URL for the variants available
                  of JRMs Rounder LoC recordings on CD:

                  http://www.rounder.com/?id=artistHome.php&musicalGroupId=559

                  Happy New Year.

                  MM

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Maybe a slight mistake on Bill Knowlin's part - the slimmer version
                  doesn't contain the book (Mr Jelly Roll) and I think the additional
                  material he means was on a CD as a pdf file with the first ediition
                  as well. The big booklet with an essay by John Szwed is included in
                  the slimmer box. The sound isn't as bad as I anticipated, but a
                  direct comparison shows that Rounder's 4 CDs of music only sounds
                  better - at least superficially. If you have both sets, it is
                  advisable to hang on to the music only as well.

                  > Best regards and a happy new year,
                  >
                  > Michael Rader

                • Hugh Crozier
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                    OK thanks - yes I do have the music only version also. It looks as though the quality of the CDs on both versions of the full set is the same. I think this solves my dilemma! I also have the Riverside issue so anything sounds better by comparison.

                    Hugh