Re: [RedHotJazz] Bessie Smith "I'd Rather Be Dead an

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2006
      on 22/12/06 7:41, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

      > Well, no. It was about a passage c. 1:08 minutes into the record.
      >
      > Michael Rader
      >> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

      I finally got around to playing this and I cannot for the life of me hear
      what the fuss is about. On Frog anyway I can hear nothing to suggest any
      kind of editing. If there are reissues about which behave at the end as
      David suggests they have been distorted by the reissuers, because it
      certainly doesn't cut off in the middle of the word on Frog.

      As to the 1:08 query, throughout the record Bessie consistently pronounces
      "grave" as "gray". Not accident, dialect.

      End of story.