Bessie Smith "I'd Rather Be Dead and Buried in My Grave" mastering

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2006
      On Frog Vol. 6, at about 1:02, I hear what sounds like an abrupt ending
      on the word "grave," like a "blip" in the editing--the word seems to
      cut off just slightly too sooon. Thought the disc might be defective.
      But I compared the same track on Columbia's "Complete Recordings" Vol.
      3 and it's the same. Since there was no "editing" as we know it when
      she recorded it, wondering if this is a result of a poor quality
      master, or a mistake when this was remastered for CD? I don't have a
      turntable to compare a 78 or 33 version so I'm not sure if it sounds
      the same on vinyl. Curious as to whether the members have noticed a
      similar problem on this or any other recordings, Bessie or anyone else.
      Thanks. Rob
    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2006
        Hello Rob
        I've just been listening to this Bessie Smith recording on the CBS LP (part of the complete recordings set)and she sings "grave" twice, the first time at 1:15. In each case she doesn't finish the word, she just sings "graaaaaa...", but this sounds as though she does this quite deliberately, and there's no "blip" or indication of editing or error in the recording.

        If you like, I can send you an MP3 so that you can compare the recordings.

        Cheers

        Bob Smith

      • Leif R. Blom
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 13, 2006
          Rob <robert.gallagher@...> wrote: On Frog Vol. 6, at about 1:02, I hear what sounds like an abrupt ending
          on the word "grave," like a "blip" in the editing--the word seems to
          cut off just slightly too sooon. Thought the disc might be defective.
          But I compared the same track on Columbia's "Complete Recordings" Vol.
          3 and it's the same. Since there was no "editing" as we know it when
          she recorded it, wondering if this is a result of a poor quality
          master, or a mistake when this was remastered for CD? I don't have a
          turntable to compare a 78 or 33 version so I'm not sure if it sounds
          the same on vinyl. Curious as to whether the members have noticed a
          similar problem on this or any other recordings, Bessie or anyone else.
          Thanks. Rob

          Rob.
          On the Col.14304 D on the RHJA there are no problems!
          Yarel41

          _R_.R_,_.___ Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
          Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar

          Recent Activity

          6
          New Members

          Visit Your Group

          Jazz music
          Jazz
          Jazz music online
          Jazz music theory
          Jazz music cd

          Shop and Save
          Yahoo! Shopping
          Compare prices and
          find great deals.

          Yahoo! News
          Space News
          Get the latest
          space related news

          Yahoo! TV
          Staying in tonight?
          Check listings to
          see what is on.

          .

        • Robert Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 2006
            I've just finished investigating why my MP3 ran longer than your version.
            The truth of the matter is that the track on LP ran for 3:02, but the
            Audacity clock ran 7.9% too fast thus making the record run for 3:21 instead
            of 3:06 (including the four seconds silence). This has only just happened,
            so I've got to investigate this strange state of affairs.

            The sleeve notes state that the track is 2:54 long, so it looks as though I
            must check my turntable speed, something I've not done for some time.

            Kind Regards

            Bob