Saxo Sextette - 2 Songs Added

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
      Nothing very jazzy but you can hear them here if you are interested:

      http://www.redhotjazz.com/saxosextette.html

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
    • Scott Alexander
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2005
        If you like the Six Brown Brothers here is an off-shoot of that band
        called the Saxo Sextette

        Bull Frog Blues
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/bullfrogblues.ram
        Swanee-Ripples
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/swaneeripples.ram

        More songs by them:
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/saxosextette.html

        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com
      • David Lewis
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
          Scott,

          I can't remember where I read the information, but I
          recall seeing that both the Saxo Sextette and Columbia
          Saxophone Sextette actually were the Six Brown
          Brothers, in hiding from Victor to whom they were
          contracted. Can anyone confirm this?

          The Buescher Instrument company is supposed to have
          made a silent movie clip of the Six Brown Brothers
          that it distributed on 16mm as a promotional item. As
          far as I know, no one living has seen it, although if
          it were on 16 it would have been on a safety base and
          thus did not deteriorate. Anyone have more
          information?

          Uncle Dave Lewis

          Message: 7
          Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:23:34 -0700
          From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
          Subject: Saxo Sextette - 2 Songs Added

          If you like the Six Brown Brothers here is an
          off-shoot of that band
          called the Saxo Sextette

          Bull Frog Blues
          http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/bullfrogblues.ram
          Swanee-Ripples
          http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/swaneeripples.ram

          More songs by them:
          http://www.redhotjazz.com/saxosextette.html

          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Scott Alexander
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
            Dave,
            I stumbled upon some information about the Columbia Saxophone Sextette
            while going through old issues of Variety. What happened was that Harry
            Yerkes contracted a group of saxophone players to make the records, then
            they started getting gigs in New York and Chicago on their own and
            saying in their ads in Variety and the Chicago Tribune that they were
            the recording artists formerly known as the Columbia Saxophone Sextette
            but their new name was Broadway's Saxo-Harmonists. They had been playing
            in New York and then had a very successful engagement at Ike Bloom's
            Midnight Frolic in Chicago. After about six months of this type of
            advertising Yerkes ran his own ad in Variety saying that it was true
            that he had contracted the group but the name the Columbia Saxophone
            Sextette belonged to him and the "real" i.e. his Columbia Saxophone
            Sextette had some new gigs in New York.

            According to Bruce Vermazen (author of the Six Brown Brothers book), the
            Saxo Sextette was a band put together by Billy Markwith a one time
            member of the Six Brown Brothers. Markwith left the Six Brown Brothers
            and started touring using a similar name and wearing clown suits and Tom
            Brown (the leader of the Six Brown Brothers) sued Markwith and won and
            he had to start using a different name. This band of Markwith's recorded
            under the name of the Saxo Sextette.

            The Six Brown Brothers made a Vitaphone short but the film is lost. But
            you can hear the soundtrack of of Vitaphone short on the "new" Six Brown
            Brothers CD http://www.archeophone.com/product_info.php?products_id=47

            Columbia Saxophone Sextette
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/css.html
            Saxo Sextette
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/saxosextette.html
            Six Brown Brothers
            http://www.redhotjazz.com/6brownbrothers.html

            Scott Alexander
            The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            www.redhotjazz.com

            David Lewis wrote:

            >Scott,
            >
            >I can't remember where I read the information, but I
            >recall seeing that both the Saxo Sextette and Columbia
            >Saxophone Sextette actually were the Six Brown
            >Brothers, in hiding from Victor to whom they were
            >contracted. Can anyone confirm this?
            >
            >The Buescher Instrument company is supposed to have
            >made a silent movie clip of the Six Brown Brothers
            >that it distributed on 16mm as a promotional item. As
            >far as I know, no one living has seen it, although if
            >it were on 16 it would have been on a safety base and
            >thus did not deteriorate. Anyone have more
            >information?
            >
            >Uncle Dave Lewis
            >
            >Message: 7
            > Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:23:34 -0700
            > From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
            >Subject: Saxo Sextette - 2 Songs Added
            >
            >If you like the Six Brown Brothers here is an
            >off-shoot of that band
            >called the Saxo Sextette
            >
            >Bull Frog Blues
            >http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/bullfrogblues.ram
            >Swanee-Ripples
            >http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/swaneeripples.ram
            >
            >More songs by them:
            >http://www.redhotjazz.com/saxosextette.html
            >

            >Scott Alexander
            >The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            >www.redhotjazz.com

          • David N. Lewis
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2005
              Scott,

              Thanks for filling in the blanks on the Saxo Sextette. That was
              fascinating!

              Uncle Dave Lewis