Re: Imitation Bix - and Tram - and Goldkette: Ted Weems and Bix

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2006
      In their biography of Bix, Evans and Evans tell us that in Feb 1930,
      Bix "rehearsed with Joe Haymes, Weems arranger, for a band that he
      planned to book March 9th at the Mayo Hotel in Tulsa, Oklahoma."
      Sudhalter and Evans provide lots of additional details. At that time,
      Bix also sat with the Ted Weems band at the Granada Cafe in Chicago's
      South Side. Sudhalter and Evans write, "Haymes's arrangements were not
      unlike those of Bill Challis, and Bix gratefully accepted the leader's
      invitation to sit on cornet..." They also write, "He [Joe Haymes] was
      to take a band of his own into the Mayo Hotel in Tulsa, Oklahoma,
      March 9, playing arrangements very much in a Challis-Whiteman vein ..."

      Indeed, via Haymes's arrangements, the Ted Weems band had a sound
      reminiscent of that of Challis-Goldkette-Whiteman.

      One more point. According to the Bix chronology in Sudhalter and
      Evans, the Ted Weems band had spots at the Arcadia Ballroom in St.
      Louis on Nov 12, 1925. Bix and Tram had a regular engagement there in
      1925-26. It is highly likely that Bix and Weems met at the time the
      Weems band appeared in the Arcadia Ballroom.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Homzy <homzy@...> wrote:

      > I'm always discovering new stuff at the Red Hot Jazz site. Tonight,
      it was
      > the Ted Weems Orchestra.
      >
      > "Cobble-Stones" from 1931 sounds like a parallel to "My Pretty Girl".
      >
      > "Jig-Time" from 1931 is more complex. Besides Goldkette, I hear
      Whiteman &