Bessie Smith and Rosa Henderson

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2006
      According to Chris Albertson's "Bessie," some collectors believe that
      two Bessie Smith recordings prior to 1923 were issued under Rosa
      Henderson's name. I think that John Hammond was the source of the
      story. Does anyone know the titles of the disputed sides? Four volumes
      of Henderson's complete works are available on CD on the Document
      label. I'd love to do my own test. Thanks. Rob
    • Agustín Pérez
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2006
        Here's an excerpt from the Bessie Smith entry in Donald
        Clarke's "Encyclopaedia of Popular Music":

        " (...) She may have recorded for Swan/Emerson '21; some sources say a
        record was issued under the name of Rosa Henderson, but blues
        discographies give Henderson's first record date as '23. There may have
        been a test record for OKeh '23, now lost (...) "

        Best wishes,
        Agustín

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <robert.gallagher@...> wrote:

        > According to Chris Albertson's "Bessie," some collectors believe that
        > two Bessie Smith recordings prior to 1923 were issued under Rosa
        > Henderson's name. I think that John Hammond was the source of the
        > story. Does anyone know the titles of the disputed sides? Four
        volumes
        > of Henderson's complete works are available on CD on the Document
        > label. I'd love to do my own test. Thanks. Rob

      • Jonathan Stroud
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
          I have read that Bessie made four sides that were
          destroyed or lost. Albertson also says that she made
          a version of "Crazy Blues." This may have been one of
          the sides.
          --- Rob <robert.gallagher@...> wrote:

          > According to Chris Albertson's "Bessie," some
          > collectors believe that
          > two Bessie Smith recordings prior to 1923 were
          > issued under Rosa
          > Henderson's name. I think that John Hammond was the
          > source of the
          > story. Does anyone know the titles of the disputed
          > sides? Four volumes
          > of Henderson's complete works are available on CD on
          > the Document
          > label. I'd love to do my own test. Thanks. Rob

          Have a burning question?