Plugs

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
      Dear Hugh,

      I shall be very surprised if anyone objects to the sort of plug you've made. In my opinion this is what "Red Hot Jazz" is all about, especially when a jazz legend such as Ian Christie is on the bill.

      However, I do have an ulterior motive in writing this E-mail, viz.:

      I run a weekly jazz programme on local radio at Mo i Rana in Northern Norway (the programme is now in its sixth year). We've done some telephone interviews with other English jazz bands (Frog Island, Colin Kingwell, Sussex Jazz Kings), each lasting about 12 minutes, and done in the intermission.

      Is there any chance we could interview you, and hopefully Ian Christie, on Saturday? Our system is quite effective and we can do an interview using a mobile phone at your end if there's no normal phone there. We usually send a CD of the actual broadcast with a translation of the jazz chat that is done in Norwegian.

      I'd just like to add that the first national concert I ever went to was with George Webb's Dixielanders in 1947, and the next one was to hear Humphrey Lyttelton, and, if my aging memory hasn't failed me, he had both Ian and Keith Christie in the band at that time.

      If you have time to reply, and would like to do so off-list, my E-mail address is:
      robert.smith@...

      Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Hugh Crozier
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
        I will reply personally, but let me say how encouraged I am to have received such support. I may also add that one of the the regular guests in Highgate is Wally Fawkes, sometime Flook cartoonist and clarinetist with Humphrey Lyttleton in the 1940s and 50s.

[...]

        robert.smith@ tele2.no

        Regards

        Bob Smith

      • Robert Greenwood
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
          While we are getting in plugs, Wally Fawkes and Doug Murray play every
          Tuesday evening between 6.00 and 9.00 pm at the White Hart in Drury
          Lane. They are joined every other week by John Chilton on trumpet.
          Robert Greenwood.
        • Hugh Crozier
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
            Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things come around again.

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
              Musically, it's a nice gig. The pub, of course, is full of office
              workers eating, drinking, shouting conversations at one other, and
              generally ignoring the music before facing the journey home. Drury
              Lane is that sort of area. However, a blessed silence descends at
              about 8.00 when they all go home leaving the last set to me and a
              couple of other pairs of ears. One caveat, though: the White Hart is
              not a "jazz pub", and the music is usually put on hold for the
              duration of events of popular import such as Xmas or the polo at
              Hurlingham.
              Robert G.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@...>
              wrote:

              > Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things come
              around again.

            • Robert Greenwood
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
                Just in case anyone out there is thinking of going to the White Hart
                in Drury Lane to hear Doug Murray, Wally Fawkes, and John Chilton,
                who play there every Tuesday evening from 6.00 until 9.00 pm, an
                outbreak of office Xmas parties means that this gig is suspended for
                the time being and will resume on Tuesday 2nd January.
                Robert Greenwood

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

                > Musically, it's a nice gig. The pub, of course, is full of office
                > workers eating, drinking, shouting conversations at one other, and
                > generally ignoring the music before facing the journey home. Drury
                > Lane is that sort of area. However, a blessed silence descends at
                > about 8.00 when they all go home leaving the last set to me and a
                > couple of other pairs of ears. One caveat, though: the White Hart
                is
                > not a "jazz pub", and the music is usually put on hold for the
                > duration of events of popular import such as Xmas or the polo at
                > Hurlingham.
                > Robert G.
                >

                > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things
                come
                > around again.

              • Stuart MacBeth
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
                  Hello

                  I am very excited by this!!! Sadly no-one seems to advertise these performances, or am I missing something? I would hitch from Inverness to hear Wally Fawkes!! Would also be very glad to compile a list of performances hot music fans would like to go to in the uk

                  Robert Greenwood <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:
                  Just in case anyone out there is thinking of going to the White Hart
                  in Drury Lane to hear Doug Murray, Wally Fawkes, and John Chilton,
                  who play there every Tuesday evening from 6.00 until 9.00 pm, an
                  outbreak of office Xmas parties means that this gig is suspended for
                  the time being and will resume on Tuesday 2nd January.
                  Robert Greenwood

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                  <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

                  > Musically, it's a nice gig. The pub, of course, is full of office
                  > workers eating, drinking, shouting conversations at one other, and
                  > generally ignoring the music before facing the journey home. Drury
                  > Lane is that sort of area. However, a blessed silence descends at
                  > about 8.00 when they all go home leaving the last set to me and a
                  > couple of other pairs of ears. One caveat, though: the White Hart
                  is
                  > not a "jazz pub", and the music is usually put on hold for the
                  > duration of events of popular import such as Xmas or the polo at
                  > Hurlingham.
                  > Robert G.
                  >

                  > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things
                  come
                  > around again.

                • Ron L
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
                    Well, if the performer or club makes the effort to submit the information,
                    the "Mississippi Rag" publishes it. Up until two months ago, they were a
                    monthly newspaper style publication. Starting in January they will be an
                    on-line publication.

                    Ron L

                    I am very excited by this!!! Sadly no-one seems to advertise these
                    performances, or am I missing something? I would hitch from Inverness to
                    hear Wally Fawkes!! Would also be very glad to compile a list of
                    performances hot music fans would like to go to in the uk

                    Robert Greenwood <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:
                    Just in case anyone out there is thinking of going to the White
                    Hart
                    in Drury Lane to hear Doug Murray, Wally Fawkes, and John Chilton,
                    who play there every Tuesday evening from 6.00 until 9.00 pm, an
                    outbreak of office Xmas parties means that this gig is suspended for
                    the time being and will resume on Tuesday 2nd January.
                    Robert Greenwood

                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                    <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

                    > Musically, it's a nice gig. The pub, of course, is full of office
                    > workers eating, drinking, shouting conversations at one other, and
                    > generally ignoring the music before facing the journey home. Drury
                    > Lane is that sort of area. However, a blessed silence descends at
                    > about 8.00 when they all go home leaving the last set to me and a
                    > couple of other pairs of ears. One caveat, though: the White Hart
                    is
                    > not a "jazz pub", and the music is usually put on hold for the
                    > duration of events of popular import such as Xmas or the polo at
                    > Hurlingham.
                    > Robert G.
                    >

                    > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things
                    come
                    > around again.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links