[RedHotJazz] Plugs

  • Hugh Crozier
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
      In the context of this message does the list mind a plug for my a couple of my appearances? I am playing at the Red Lion and Sun, North Road, Highgate, London with Ian Christie (of Christie Brothers Stompers fame) and various guests on Saturday 9 December from about 9 pm.

      I also play fortnightly on Thursdays at the Lord Napier, Thornton Heath, near Croydon, Surrey. The next event is 14 December. I have played in this famous venue on and off (mainly on) since about 1968, most of the time with Bill Brunskill who died a few years ago. It was the focus of the film made by George Melly in 1982, Whatever Happened to Bill Brunskill, a film that told the story of Hot Jazz in the UK.

      In both these venues it is still possible to hear hot jazz, perhaps not of the quality of the greats but still hot nonetheless.

      I feel faintly uneasy about these plugs. I am not sure that this is the appropriate place for such messages and if people do not like it I shall not do it again. However, jazz is nothing if not improvised live music and the more people that go to listen to it the better its chances of survival as a live performance art than a dusty museum relic.

      Forgive me if I have offended anyone.

      Hugh

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
        Hi Hugh,

        Bravo.

        I'm on the other side of the pond. Finding anyone here that even knows what hot music is seems to quite a feat, let alone finding those who can play it.

        I play tenor banjo and know no one personally who likes this music well enough to keep it alive by playing it.

        More people need to hear to hear it performed live. I would like to read more posts alerting us of live performances.

        Mike Amato

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
          Dear Hugh,

          I shall be very surprised if anyone objects to the sort of plug you've made. In my opinion this is what "Red Hot Jazz" is all about, especially when a jazz legend such as Ian Christie is on the bill.

          However, I do have an ulterior motive in writing this E-mail, viz.:

          I run a weekly jazz programme on local radio at Mo i Rana in Northern Norway (the programme is now in its sixth year). We've done some telephone interviews with other English jazz bands (Frog Island, Colin Kingwell, Sussex Jazz Kings), each lasting about 12 minutes, and done in the intermission.

          Is there any chance we could interview you, and hopefully Ian Christie, on Saturday? Our system is quite effective and we can do an interview using a mobile phone at your end if there's no normal phone there. We usually send a CD of the actual broadcast with a translation of the jazz chat that is done in Norwegian.

          I'd just like to add that the first national concert I ever went to was with George Webb's Dixielanders in 1947, and the next one was to hear Humphrey Lyttelton, and, if my aging memory hasn't failed me, he had both Ian and Keith Christie in the band at that time.

          If you have time to reply, and would like to do so off-list, my E-mail address is:
          robert.smith@...

          Regards

          Bob Smith

        • Hugh Crozier
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
            I will reply personally, but let me say how encouraged I am to have received such support. I may also add that one of the the regular guests in Highgate is Wally Fawkes, sometime Flook cartoonist and clarinetist with Humphrey Lyttleton in the 1940s and 50s.

[...]

            robert.smith@ tele2.no

            Regards

            Bob Smith

          • Robert Greenwood
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
              While we are getting in plugs, Wally Fawkes and Doug Murray play every
              Tuesday evening between 6.00 and 9.00 pm at the White Hart in Drury
              Lane. They are joined every other week by John Chilton on trumpet.
              Robert Greenwood.
            • Hugh Crozier
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
                Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things come around again.

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Musically, it's a nice gig. The pub, of course, is full of office
                  workers eating, drinking, shouting conversations at one other, and
                  generally ignoring the music before facing the journey home. Drury
                  Lane is that sort of area. However, a blessed silence descends at
                  about 8.00 when they all go home leaving the last set to me and a
                  couple of other pairs of ears. One caveat, though: the White Hart is
                  not a "jazz pub", and the music is usually put on hold for the
                  duration of events of popular import such as Xmas or the polo at
                  Hurlingham.
                  Robert G.

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things come
                  around again.

                • Robert Greenwood
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Just in case anyone out there is thinking of going to the White Hart
                    in Drury Lane to hear Doug Murray, Wally Fawkes, and John Chilton,
                    who play there every Tuesday evening from 6.00 until 9.00 pm, an
                    outbreak of office Xmas parties means that this gig is suspended for
                    the time being and will resume on Tuesday 2nd January.
                    Robert Greenwood

                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                    <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

                    > Musically, it's a nice gig. The pub, of course, is full of office
                    > workers eating, drinking, shouting conversations at one other, and
                    > generally ignoring the music before facing the journey home. Drury
                    > Lane is that sort of area. However, a blessed silence descends at
                    > about 8.00 when they all go home leaving the last set to me and a
                    > couple of other pairs of ears. One caveat, though: the White Hart
                    is
                    > not a "jazz pub", and the music is usually put on hold for the
                    > duration of events of popular import such as Xmas or the polo at
                    > Hurlingham.
                    > Robert G.
                    >

                    > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things
                    come
                    > around again.

                  • Stuart MacBeth
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
                      Hello

                      I am very excited by this!!! Sadly no-one seems to advertise these performances, or am I missing something? I would hitch from Inverness to hear Wally Fawkes!! Would also be very glad to compile a list of performances hot music fans would like to go to in the uk

                      Robert Greenwood <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:
                      Just in case anyone out there is thinking of going to the White Hart
                      in Drury Lane to hear Doug Murray, Wally Fawkes, and John Chilton,
                      who play there every Tuesday evening from 6.00 until 9.00 pm, an
                      outbreak of office Xmas parties means that this gig is suspended for
                      the time being and will resume on Tuesday 2nd January.
                      Robert Greenwood

                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                      <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

                      > Musically, it's a nice gig. The pub, of course, is full of office
                      > workers eating, drinking, shouting conversations at one other, and
                      > generally ignoring the music before facing the journey home. Drury
                      > Lane is that sort of area. However, a blessed silence descends at
                      > about 8.00 when they all go home leaving the last set to me and a
                      > couple of other pairs of ears. One caveat, though: the White Hart
                      is
                      > not a "jazz pub", and the music is usually put on hold for the
                      > duration of events of popular import such as Xmas or the polo at
                      > Hurlingham.
                      > Robert G.
                      >

                      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things
                      come
                      > around again.

                    • Ron L
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 14, 2006
                        Well, if the performer or club makes the effort to submit the information,
                        the "Mississippi Rag" publishes it. Up until two months ago, they were a
                        monthly newspaper style publication. Starting in January they will be an
                        on-line publication.

                        Ron L

                        I am very excited by this!!! Sadly no-one seems to advertise these
                        performances, or am I missing something? I would hitch from Inverness to
                        hear Wally Fawkes!! Would also be very glad to compile a list of
                        performances hot music fans would like to go to in the uk

                        Robert Greenwood <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:
                        Just in case anyone out there is thinking of going to the White
                        Hart
                        in Drury Lane to hear Doug Murray, Wally Fawkes, and John Chilton,
                        who play there every Tuesday evening from 6.00 until 9.00 pm, an
                        outbreak of office Xmas parties means that this gig is suspended for
                        the time being and will resume on Tuesday 2nd January.
                        Robert Greenwood

                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
                        <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

                        > Musically, it's a nice gig. The pub, of course, is full of office
                        > workers eating, drinking, shouting conversations at one other, and
                        > generally ignoring the music before facing the journey home. Drury
                        > Lane is that sort of area. However, a blessed silence descends at
                        > about 8.00 when they all go home leaving the last set to me and a
                        > couple of other pairs of ears. One caveat, though: the White Hart
                        is
                        > not a "jazz pub", and the music is usually put on hold for the
                        > duration of events of popular import such as Xmas or the polo at
                        > Hurlingham.
                        > Robert G.
                        >

                        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Really! I used to play there in the late 60s. Funny how things
                        come
                        > around again.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links