The Music of Coney Island

  • Todd Robbins
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      I am working on a project of trying to document the live music scene in
      Coney Island NY. I know that the ODJB played there as well as members
      of the Memphis Five. I also know a bit about Jimmy Durante and some of
      the ragtime music that was played there. Anything that can be added
      would be greatly appreciated.

      Todd Robbins
    • Scott Alexander
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
        Ted Lewis was playing at the College Cabaret at Coney Island circa 1915.

        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com
      • alfzampi
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21, 2007
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Robbins"
          <coneyislandtodd@...> wrote:

          > I am working on a project of trying to document the live music
          scene in
          > Coney Island NY. I know that the ODJB played there as well as
          members
          > of the Memphis Five. I also know a bit about Jimmy Durante and
          some of
          > the ragtime music that was played there. Anything that can be
          added
          > would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Todd Robbins

          Hi Todd
          Phil Napoleon was my Uncle.He had I beleive four brothers.His brother
          Teddy was my Grandfather.He was a drummer.I know he played at Coney
          Island and Rockaway playlands in the 1940'My Uncle Marty's sons
          played with Louie Armstrong & Gene Krupa.Jimmie Durante also was with
          my Uncles band.I would like more info if you have anthing more?
          Thanks
          Al Zampieri tel 302-841-4155