Re: Bessie Smith recording studios Columbia, Recording of Heart Sounds

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
      The Nov 1, 1925 edition of the New York Times carries an article
      entitled, "Invention Records All Heart Sounds." Here is the section
      relevant ot the address of the Columbia Studios.

      "An invention for the accurate recording of the sounds of the heart
      was demonstrated yesterday by the Columbia Phonograph Company at its
      studios, 1819 Broadway."

      Albert

    • loerchen2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
        Fano Leon Roppolo passed away yesterday morning. He was the oldest grandson of Leon Roppolo, and remembered (as a very small child) hearing Rapp play one of his last gigs at a local hotel in 1943.

        He had been telling me some great family stories for the bio I am writing about Rapp; I just saw him the week before Thanksgiving, and he was doing quite well. His death was rather sudden, although he had been recently diagnosed with cancer.

        Fano was the keeper of Rapp's legacy, but unfortunately, his home and its contents were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina and the flooding. One of Rapp's instruments was stolen from the flooded house, and I bet the thief had no idea who it had belonged to.

        In sadness,
        Sue