Bessie Smith recording studios Columbia

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2006
      Just joined the group today. I am trying to find out the addresses of
      the Columbia studios where Bessie Smith recorded. Chris
      Albertson's "Bessie" biography and John Hammond's autobiography have
      references to "lower 5th Avenue," "Columbus Circle," and the Woolworth
      Building, but none indicate a specific address for the studio or
      studios. There is a new book about the history of Columbia coming out
      next year; that might have something, but if anyone in the group has
      any information, I would greatly appreciate it.
      Rob
    • mike_meddings
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2006
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <robert.gallagher@...> wrote:

        > Just joined the group today. I am trying to find out the addresses of
        > the Columbia studios where Bessie Smith recorded. Chris
        > Albertson's "Bessie" biography and John Hammond's autobiography have
        > references to "lower 5th Avenue," "Columbus Circle," and the
        Woolworth
        > Building, but none indicate a specific address for the studio or
        > studios. There is a new book about the history of Columbia coming out
        > next year; that might have something, but if anyone in the group has
        > any information, I would greatly appreciate it.
        > Rob

        Hello Rob,

        I'm not saying this is what you are looking for, but here are some
        details about Columbia in New York City :

        Brian G. Andersson, Commissioner, New York City Department of Records
        and Information Services, has checked the New York City Directories and
        found the following entry in the 1924 and 1925 edition:

        Columbia Phonograph Co. (NY)
        H. L. Wilson, Pres., F. J. Ames, Sect., H. C. Cox, Treas.
        1819 Broadway and 121 W. 20

        The next available year was 1933-34 and that directory had the Columbia
        Phonograph Company located at 55 Fifth Avenue and 121 West 20th Street.

        Brian also checked a 1921 map for the 1819 Broadway address and found
        it was indeed the Gotham Bank Building. It was located on West 59th
        Street, right on Columbus Circle, with an entrance on Broadway, where
        demolition is currently (July 2000) taking place of the old New York
        Coliseum, making way for a new hotel, retail and entertainment complex.

        MM
      • robert.gallagher@thomson.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2006
          Mike-thank you so much. This is the best information that I've seen so
          far. And it lines up with the "lower Fifth Ave." and Columbus Circle
          information.

          I'm also going to check out The Columbia Master Book Discography
          <http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=978
          0313308222&itm=10>
          series by Brian Rust and Tim Brooks. Appears to have a history of
          Columbia Records preceding the matrix/series number lists.

          Thanks again

          Rob
          <http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?SID=159724&z=y#
          10#10>

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2006
            Hello Rob,

            You may wish to see the complete text at :

            http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/page15.html

            then do a word search for JOHNNY DUNN

            Several years ago I was researching the exact location of the
            Columbia studio where the Johnny Dunn and His Band recordings took
            place. Brian Andersson was very helpful and provided me with very
            detailed information --- this was backed up by Herb Flemming, one of
            the participating musicians at the recording session. However, this
            does not appear to be the same Columbia location for Bessie Smith.

            MM

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, <robert.gallagher@...> wrote:

            > Mike-thank you so much. This is the best information that I've seen
            so
            > far. And it lines up with the "lower Fifth Ave." and Columbus Circle
            > information.
            >

            > I'm also going to check out The Columbia Master Book Discography
            > <http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?
            z=y&EAN=978
            > 0313308222&itm=10>
            > series by Brian Rust and Tim Brooks. Appears to have a history of
            > Columbia Records preceding the matrix/series number lists.
            >

            > Thanks again
            >
            > Rob
          • Jonathan Stroud
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2006
              I think it was 55 Fifth Ave.
              --- Rob <robert.gallagher@...> wrote:

              > Just joined the group today. I am trying to find out
              > the addresses of
              > the Columbia studios where Bessie Smith recorded.
              > Chris
              > Albertson's "Bessie" biography and John Hammond's
              > autobiography have
              > references to "lower 5th Avenue," "Columbus Circle,"
              > and the Woolworth
              > Building, but none indicate a specific address for
              > the studio or
              > studios. There is a new book about the history of
              > Columbia coming out
              > next year; that might have something, but if anyone
              > in the group has
              > any information, I would greatly appreciate it.
              > Rob

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
            • Albert Haim
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
                The Nov 1, 1925 edition of the New York Times carries an article
                entitled, "Invention Records All Heart Sounds." Here is the section
                relevant ot the address of the Columbia Studios.

                "An invention for the accurate recording of the sounds of the heart
                was demonstrated yesterday by the Columbia Phonograph Company at its
                studios, 1819 Broadway."

                Albert

              • loerchen2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Fano Leon Roppolo passed away yesterday morning. He was the oldest grandson of Leon Roppolo, and remembered (as a very small child) hearing Rapp play one of his last gigs at a local hotel in 1943.

                  He had been telling me some great family stories for the bio I am writing about Rapp; I just saw him the week before Thanksgiving, and he was doing quite well. His death was rather sudden, although he had been recently diagnosed with cancer.

                  Fano was the keeper of Rapp's legacy, but unfortunately, his home and its contents were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina and the flooding. One of Rapp's instruments was stolen from the flooded house, and I bet the thief had no idea who it had belonged to.

                  In sadness,
                  Sue