Re: Lil Hardin

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 25, 2006
      Yes, this clip and another hour of fine jazz from the same 1961 TV
      program is (or was) available on a U.S. video by Vintage Jazz Classics
      (VJC-2002) packaged in 1991. It was a show called "America's Music:
      Chicago and All That Jazz" as part of a series, The duPont Show of the
      Week.

      There were two duos by Lil and Mae Barnes on The Pearls and Heebie
      Jeebies that are a "hoot".

      The "New Orleans" band featured Buster Bailey, Kid Ory and Red Allen
      with Johnny St Cyr, Zutty Singleton and Lil. They played Cornet Chop
      Suey as well as Jelly Roll Blues.

      Then there was a "Chicago" band comprised of Jimmy McPartland, Jack
      Teagarden, Pee Wee Russel, Joe Sullivan, Eddie Condon, Bob Haggart and
      Gene Krupa. And Meade Lux Lewis played Pinetop's Boogie Woogie,

      There was also filmed tributes to Louis, Bix and classic blues which
      featured movie clips and still photos. A grand finale with everyone
      showing their exuberance if not musical taste finishes the program.

      Though it didn't compare to the "Sound of Jazz" program in production
      values, this effort provided some fine music and a "final" look at many
      "greats" of jazz.

      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Shorty" ncshorty_2001@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I found this clip of Lil Hardin-Armstrong with Buster Bailey, and
      other
      > > greats on youtube. I hope you all like it.
      > >

      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gDo4_11K2k
      >
      > Fantastic footage, so much jazz history on that stage and a beautiful
      > rendition... Thanks Shorty.
      >
      > John

    • Martin
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 25, 2006