Re: [RedHotJazz] Fw: Jelly Roll -- J. Lawrence Cook website update

  • Hugh Crozier
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
      I feel I owe a debt of gratitude to Cook for the transcriptions of Jelly's solos that he made mainly after the war, I think. At that time, apart from learning them from the record, that was all there was of the late 30s material aside from the pices that Jelly and Roy Carew published. Some of this was in in Mr Jelly Roll, including the Miserere faithfully transcribed in Eb minor from the incorrect pitch of the Library of Congress sides. Despite its 6 flats, I learned it! There has been at least one other transcription repitched to F minor and F major which, I think, is the key in which Verdi wrote it originally in Il Trovatore. Inexplicably, this opera's title emerges as Ill Travator in Mr Jelly Roll, another example of Lomax's carelessness (cf Audie Matthews)..

      I am also intrigued as to the effect Cook had on the declining popularity of mechanical pianos. The more plausible explanation, surely, is the increasing sophistication of the gramophone and radio as forms of home entertainment.