Kid Ory's voice

  • Hugh Crozier
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2006
      Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I was listening yesterday to Hot 5 Gut Bucket Blues. When Louis starts his solo, someone says: 'Oh do that thing, Papa Dip'. I have been under the impression that this was Kid Ory, but the voice is not at all gruff. If people remember, my earlier question concerned the voice behind Dodd's solo on Too Tight Blues. The remark was made that Ory had a rather gruff voice so it was unlikely to be him.

      Is the voice on Gut Bucket Blues Ory's, or is it more likely to be Johnny St Cyr?

      I hope I'm not boring people but I have become a little intrigued!

      Hugh