Re: THE PIANO SOLO ON BIG BOY IS BIX?

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
      From Evans and Evans, "Bix: The Leon Bix Beiderbecke Story."

      Following the listing of "Big Boy" in p. 165,

      "While Bix was hardly the equal of the likes of Fats Waller and James
      P. Johnson, his solo shows him to be a good journeyman pianist who
      improvised easily at the keyboard in a style that evokes the spirit of
      mid 1920s jazz.

      He [Fred Rollinson] arrived with the thought he had the job [Bix's
      job, who had just announced he was leaving the Wolverines to join the
      Jean Goldkette Orchestra], and believed he was to play a duet cornet
      on their recording. He accompanied the Wolverines to the recording
      studio but at the last minute, Bix decided to play a piano solo on
      "Big Boy." Bix handed Fred his cornet while he soloed on the piano."

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, domingo warner <domingowarner@...>
      wrote:

      > I WANT TO KNOW IF THE PIANO SOLO ON THE WOLVERINES BIG BOY IS BIX.or
      is dick voynow?

    • stikhndlr
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
        wrote:

        > I WANT TO KNOW IF THE PIANO SOLO ON THE WOLVERINES BIG BOY IS BIX.or
        is dick voynow?

        According to Rust, Bix plays piano, Jimmy McPartland plays cornet and
        George Brunies is added on Quote "tb k". From the abbreviations list
        tb is trombone but there's no reference to an instrument "k".

        Can anybody enlighten me as to what a "k" is please?
      • loerchen2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
          Brunies is playing a kazoo. Not your typical jazz instrument, but in the
          hands of a master...

          Sue

          In a message dated 11/19/2006 1:42:01 PM Central Standard Time,
          rgmusic@... writes:

          --- In _RedHotJazz@yahoogroRedHotJ_ (mailto:RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com) ,
          domingo warner <domingowarner@dom>
          wrote:

          > I WANT TO KNOW IF THE PIANO SOLO ON THE WOLVERINES BIG BOY IS BIX.or
          is dick voynow?

          According to Rust, Bix plays piano, Jimmy McPartland plays cornet and
          George Brunies is added on Quote "tb k". From the abbreviations list
          tb is trombone but there's no reference to an instrument "k".

          Can anybody enlighten me as to what a "k" is please?

        • Leif R. Blom
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
            stikhndlr <rgmusic@...> wrote: can anyone enlighten me...

            I really can´t hear the kazoo playing on the Gen. 5565,
            but on the Gen. 5542 from the 16. september there is a
            kazoo solo for about 25 sec. on Lazy Daddy.

            yarel 41

          • Albert Haim
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
              Bix plays both cornet and piano. This was the last recording session
              of Bix with the Wolverines, Oct 7, 1924. Bix left the Wolverines to
              join Jean Goldkette and was replaced by Jimmy McPartland who was in
              the Dec 5, 1924 recording session of the Wolverines.

              Some people claim that George Brunis/Brunies does not play a kazoo in
              "Big Boy" but the mouthpiece of his trombone.

              Albert

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
                As pointed out by Leif, Brunies plays kazoo/trombone mouthpiece in
                "Lazy Daddy" not "Big Boy."

                Albert

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

                > Bix plays both cornet and piano. This was the last recording session
                > of Bix with the Wolverines, Oct 7, 1924. Bix left the Wolverines to
                > join Jean Goldkette and was replaced by Jimmy McPartland who was in
                > the Dec 5, 1924 recording session of the Wolverines.
                >
                > Some people claim that George Brunis/Brunies does not play a kazoo in
                > "Big Boy" but the mouthpiece of his trombone.
                >
                > Albert
                >
                > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "stikhndlr" <rgmusic@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, domingo warner <domingowarner@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I WANT TO KNOW IF THE PIANO SOLO ON THE WOLVERINES BIG BOY IS
                BIX.or
                > > is dick voynow?
                > > >

                > > According to Rust, Bix plays piano, Jimmy McPartland plays cornet and
                > > George Brunies is added on Quote "tb k". From the abbreviations list
                > > tb is trombone but there's no reference to an instrument "k".
                > >
                > > Can anybody enlighten me as to what a "k" is please?

              • domingowarner
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 24, 2006
                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "stikhndlr" <rgmusic@...> wrote:

                  > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, domingo warner <domingowarner@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I WANT TO KNOW IF THE PIANO SOLO ON THE WOLVERINES BIG BOY IS
                  BIX.or
                  > is dick voynow?
                  > >

                  > According to Rust, Bix plays piano, Jimmy McPartland plays cornet and
                  > George Brunies is added on Quote "tb k". From the abbreviations list
                  > tb is trombone but there's no reference to an instrument "k".
                  >
                  > Can anybody enlighten me as to what a "k" is please?

                  the k is the abreviation for kazoo,one strange instrument indeedfor
                  that kind of music
                • bsfdl
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 27, 2006
                    > Can anybody enlighten me as to what a "k" is please?

                    the k is the abreviation for kazoo,one strange instrument indeedfor
                    that kind of music

                    [I reply] Thanks, kazoo was my guess but does your information come from a
                    later edition of Rust, some other source, or eliminating all other
                    possibilities?

                  • Leif R. Blom
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
                      bsfdl <rgmusic@...> wrote:
                      > Can anybody enlighten me as to what a "k" is please?

                      the k is the abreviation for kazoo,one strange instrument indeedfor
                      that kind of music

                      [I reply] Thanks, kazoo was my guess but does your information come from a
                      later edition of Rust, some other source, or eliminating all other
                      possibilities?

                      Well, I think my information comes from listening.
                      yarel 41