Re: NEW KING OLIVER REISSUE

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 10, 2006

      > David implied that the King Jazz and Retrieval sets are synonymous. This
      > never was so and I've just relistened. The Retrieval is far far
      superior.
      > More body, resonance, space, detail and dynamics, albeit at the
      acceptable
      > cost of more surface.
      >
      > If indeed these are from the same JRT tape --- and they certainly
      sound as
      > if from the same copies -- and assuming that no further filtering
      > /equalising etc, digital or otherwise, was imposed by King Jazz -- (
      and I
      > suspect it was ) --then this indicates just how influential the actual
      > digitalising process is.

      The implication perhaps wasn't intentional, but the use of the
      singular word "set" could cause someone to think the two CDs were the
      same...

      I've noticed a somewhat similar dichotomy between King Jazz and
      Retrieval CD issues of Morton's 1923-1924 solos, which I'm guessing
      came from identical transfers. King Jazz does have more surface
      noise, and the sound varies a bit from track to track. In a few
      cases, this may provide a greater opportunity for equalization "to
      taste," at the lisener's discretion. I like the character of the
      Retrieval sound, which seems more uniform--usually something achieved
      through mastering.

      King Jazz credits John R.T. for "Transfers," Cesar Garcia for
      "Pre-mastering Re-recording," and Digipro for "DAT Mastering."
      Retrieval simply credits John R.T. with "Audio Restoration."

      John
    • davidsager1958
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 10, 2006
        Hello Friends,

        John R. T. told someone...I cannot recall who it was now, that both
        King Jazz and Retrieval were from the same tapes. I agree that the
        Retrieval set sounds better than the King Jazz.

        I'll never forget the one time I visited John and he played me the
        tape of his restoration of Oliver's "Mandy Lee Blues" -- it was
        thrilling! He was a brilliant man.

        David

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@...>