RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: NEW KING OLIVER REISSUE

    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 6, 2006
      For instance. There is only one copy of Gennett 5275 ( Workingman/Zulus )
      extant.

      Who owns this and was it made available for re-mastering or even 'mastering'
      ?

    • davidsager1958
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 7, 2006
        Hi Michael

        The samples, I think, are all representative and consistent, so I
        don't think that any one particular is better than another.

        Do, however, sample "Krooked Blues" -- Joe Oliver's blues style is so
        very evident on this one as he is rather exposed.

        Perhaps if you play a bit of the Retrieval on your computer speakers
        and then try a few samples, then you can get an idea...or perhaps
        rote your computer through your stereo system...

        David

        RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:

        > David,
        >
        > Could you please provide suggestions *which* tracks are best to
        sample the improvement. As I've said before, most computers don't
        provide really good listening experience and a comparison (e.g. with
        the Retrieval) would be most revealing if it were possible to go
        directly to those tracks which actually come from originals rather
        than the 1950s dubs used for the Retrieval.

        _
        > Viren-Scan für Ihren PC! Jetzt für jeden. Sofort, online und
        kostenlos.
        > Gleich testen! http://www.pc-sicherheit.web.de/freescan/?mc=022222

      • davidsager1958
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 7, 2006
          OKeh, I re-read your question and have a somewhat better answer...

          "Krooked Blues" as it turns out was one of the dubs that John R. T.
          had used on the Retireval/King Jazz set. Therefore "Alligator Hop"
          was from a dub as well.

          I'll try and find out which others came from dubbed sources.

          _

          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 7, 2006
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 7, 2006
              Having further investigated the Archeophone site I find my earlier question
              answered and that the copy of Gennett 5275 was used.

              However, the link in the text referring to Gennett 5275 plays the Okeh '
              Working Man ' --- confusing.

              The track list further down does indeed play the Gennett.

              The transcriptions cited as 'dubs' on the Retrieval -- ' Krooked' and
              'Alligator' -- even if so, are among the best on that issue and I cannot
              hear any improvement on the limited clip available from Archeophone.

              But PC soundstream never is a fair test but generally the Archeophone sound
              seems good but then so is the Retrieval.

            • stewmclean
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 8, 2006
                Many thanks for the inf. Sue,sounds like it's worth while
                adding the set to the collcetion.Just to hear anything new by Johnny
                Dodds would make it money well spent.
                Stewart

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 8, 2006
                  Sue

                  What side are the newly discovered Dodds riffs on ?

                  I cannot find timings for the Archeophone, can anybody oblige ?

                  I'm interested in what pitch 'corrections' have been made v.v. the
                  Retrieval.

                • Hugh Crozier
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 9, 2006
                    Sorry - I've missed something here. What is this about newly discovered Dodds riffs? Being a huge fan I would love to hear them.

                    Hugh

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 9, 2006
                      David implied that the King Jazz and Retrieval sets are synonymous. This
                      never was so and I've just relistened. The Retrieval is far far superior.
                      More body, resonance, space, detail and dynamics, albeit at the acceptable
                      cost of more surface.

                      If indeed these are from the same JRT tape --- and they certainly sound as
                      if from the same copies -- and assuming that no further filtering
                      /equalising etc, digital or otherwise, was imposed by King Jazz -- ( and I
                      suspect it was ) --then this indicates just how influential the actual
                      digitalising process is.

                    • spacelights
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 10, 2006

                        > David implied that the King Jazz and Retrieval sets are synonymous. This
                        > never was so and I've just relistened. The Retrieval is far far
                        superior.
                        > More body, resonance, space, detail and dynamics, albeit at the
                        acceptable
                        > cost of more surface.
                        >
                        > If indeed these are from the same JRT tape --- and they certainly
                        sound as
                        > if from the same copies -- and assuming that no further filtering
                        > /equalising etc, digital or otherwise, was imposed by King Jazz -- (
                        and I
                        > suspect it was ) --then this indicates just how influential the actual
                        > digitalising process is.

                        The implication perhaps wasn't intentional, but the use of the
                        singular word "set" could cause someone to think the two CDs were the
                        same...

                        I've noticed a somewhat similar dichotomy between King Jazz and
                        Retrieval CD issues of Morton's 1923-1924 solos, which I'm guessing
                        came from identical transfers. King Jazz does have more surface
                        noise, and the sound varies a bit from track to track. In a few
                        cases, this may provide a greater opportunity for equalization "to
                        taste," at the lisener's discretion. I like the character of the
                        Retrieval sound, which seems more uniform--usually something achieved
                        through mastering.

                        King Jazz credits John R.T. for "Transfers," Cesar Garcia for
                        "Pre-mastering Re-recording," and Digipro for "DAT Mastering."
                        Retrieval simply credits John R.T. with "Audio Restoration."

                        John
                      • davidsager1958
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 10, 2006
                          Hello Friends,

                          John R. T. told someone...I cannot recall who it was now, that both
                          King Jazz and Retrieval were from the same tapes. I agree that the
                          Retrieval set sounds better than the King Jazz.

                          I'll never forget the one time I visited John and he played me the
                          tape of his restoration of Oliver's "Mandy Lee Blues" -- it was
                          thrilling! He was a brilliant man.

                          David

                          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@...>