Re: [RedHotJazz] Ragtime

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
      > Please consider creating a ragtime page to complement your early jazz and
      > early blues pages.

      Andrew - Yeah I was working on that I might as well post it and get
      everyone's feed back on it. Let me know if I'm missing anything. Here is
      what I came up with:

      http://www.redhotjazz.com/firstragtimerecords.html

      The rules are the same as the First Jazz and Blues pages. The song should
      have some form of the word ragtime in the title or band name. Something
      that indicated that we were hearing ragtime. I've picked 1897 to 1903 as
      the time period that we'll consider to be the first of the first ragtime
      records.

      The big problem will be tracking down these recordings. I snagged a couple
      off the Internet Archive but they are not always the best with indicating
      which version of the recording is which issue number, etc. There also
      seems to be a bit of guess work on dates in the recording dates. So I'm
      iffy on posting those. I've consulted the discographies Sutton, Jansen,
      Rust as well as the Online Discography Project and some other odds and
      ends. Consider this list a work in progress.

      I don't have any of these 78s or cylinders. A few of the songs where
      issued on LPs which I own but I haven't digitized and posted any of them yet.

      Time to skedaddle,
      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.ccom
    • Andrew Homzy
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
        Andrew - Yeah I was working on that I might as well post it and get
        everyone's feed back on it. Let me know if I'm missing anything. Here is
        what I came up with:

        http://www.redhotjazz.com/firstragtimerecords.html

        Dear Scott,

        Thank you for considering this. I look forward to hearing some of the music
        as it becomes available. Isn't there an Edison site which has Public Domain
        recordings?

        Regarding the following - While I haven't heard it, could this be the first
        drum solo in recorded history?

        The Ragtime Drummer
        (J. Leubie Hill) James I. Lent
        Drum Solo with the London Regimental Band 1903
        Lambert 25

        Cheers,

        Andrew Homzy, Montréal

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
          > Regarding the following - While I haven't heard it, could this be the first
          > drum solo in recorded history?
          >
          > The Ragtime Drummer
          > (J. Leubie Hill) James I. Lent
          > Drum Solo with the London Regimental Band 1903
          > Lambert 25

          This has been reissued before, although I'm not sure if it was the Lambert recording or another label. There was a John RT Davies transfer of the title on the Anthology of Jazz Drumming Volume 1, issued on the now-defunct French Masters of Jazz label.

          There are many early ragtime recordings on Archeophone reissues - one in fact devoted to Ragtime and the "Yearbooks" for the 1890s include several. And don't forget the four volumes of "Ragtime to Jazz" on Timeless, although these probably concentrate on ragtime recordings with a close relationship to early jazz and would hence not be the very earlist recordings.

          In the LP days, there were a couple on French RCA - maybe the Jazz Tribune reissue also made it to CD, and there were several Folkways LPs.

          Michael Rader
          Karlsruhe, Germany

        • howardrye
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
            wrote:

            > > Regarding the following - While I haven't heard it, could this be
            the first
            > > drum solo in recorded history?
            > >
            > > The Ragtime Drummer
            > > (J. Leubie Hill) James I. Lent
            > > Drum Solo with the London Regimental Band 1903
            > > Lambert 25
            >

            > This has been reissued before, although I'm not sure if it was the
            Lambert recording or another

            The Edison Bell version of 12 November 1904 is currently available on
            Neophone 9 "Out Of the Dawn". This is also accompanied by the London
            Regimental Band.

            Details of Neophone CDs can be found at
            <http://www.neophone.freeserve.co.uk/>

            Lent was the drummer in the pit-band for the 1904 London production of
            "In Dahomey", described in programmes as "America's Best Orchestral
            Drummer". On a later American issue he is described as "New York
            Hippdrome Drummer". He also recorded ragtime bell solos whilst in London.
          • spacelights
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
              wrote:

              > In the LP days, there were a couple on French RCA

              I do remember one of those, in the great 'Black and White' series...
              It had some cakewalks (one or two perhaps titled simply "Cakewalk")
              from around the turn of the century. Does anyone know the
              name/catalog number of this LP?

              John
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
                > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> In the LP days, there were a couple on French RCA
                >
                > I do remember one of those, in the great 'Black and White' series...
                > It had some cakewalks (one or two perhaps titled simply "Cakewalk")
                > from around the turn of the century. Does anyone know the
                > name/catalog number of this LP?

                I have two of these :
                - Ragtime and Novelty Music Volume 1 (1906-1934) RCA FXM1 7185
                reissue Black&White Vol. 152
                - Ragtime "Cake-Walks, Military Bands, Ragtime Orchestras, Coon Cotests,
                Blues and Jass" Volume 2 (1900-1921)
                RCA PM 42402 Black&White Vol. 190

                Also a reissue of Jazz Tribune 42 as a double CD; I'll list titles later if
                you like.

                Patrice
              • Scott Alexander
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
                  I've added some more song titles to the first ragtime records list:
                  http://www.redhotjazz.com/firstragtimerecords.html
                  (no audio yet)

                  Scott Alexander
                  The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                  www.redhotjazz.com

                • spacelights
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
                    <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                    > I have two of these :
                    > - Ragtime and Novelty Music Volume 1 (1906-1934) RCA FXM1 7185
                    > reissue Black&White Vol. 152
                    > - Ragtime "Cake-Walks, Military Bands, Ragtime Orchestras, Coon
                    Cotests,
                    > Blues and Jass" Volume 2 (1900-1921)
                    > RCA PM 42402 Black&White Vol. 190
                    >
                    > Also a reissue of Jazz Tribune 42 as a double CD; I'll list titles
                    later if
                    > you like.

                    Excellent--thanks Patrice--that would be wonderful.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 10, 2006
                      So, as pomised...

                      - Ragtime and Novelty Music Volume 1 (1906-1934) RCA FXM1 7185, Black&White
                      Vol. 152

                      * Desecretion Rag - Felix Arndt, 1914
                      From Soup To Nuts - same
                      A Bunch Of Rags - Vess L. Ossman, 1908
                      The Buffalo Rag - same, 1909
                      St Louis Tickle - Ossman-Dudley Trio, 1906
                      Dixie Girl - same
                      * Operatic Rag - Joseph Moskowitz, 1916
                      * Laughing Rag - Sam Moore, 1921
                      Notoriety Rag - Fred Van Eps Trio, 1914
                      * Raggin' The Scale - Fred Van Eps + Orch., 1916
                      Charleston Chuckles - Zez Confrey & Orch., 1924
                      * I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight - Fank Banta, 1925
                      Sweet Man - same
                      * Maple Leaf Rag - Victor Arden Trio, 1930
                      West Dallas Rag - Robert Cooper, 1934
                      Bubbles - Johnny Johnson, 1934

                      - Ragtime, "Cake-Walks, Military Bands, Ragtime Orchestras, Coon Contests,
                      Blues and Jass" Volume 2 (1900-1921) RCA PM 42402 Black&White Vol. 190

                      Cake Walk In The Sky - Victor Dance Orchestra, 1905
                      * Cake Walk - Anon. band, 1900?
                      Smokey Mokes - Metropolitan Orchestra, 1900
                      Whistling Rufus - Sousa's Band, 1900
                      The Cake Walk - The Victor Minstrels, 1902
                      * Alexander's Ragtime Band - Victor Military Band, 1911
                      Slippery Place Rag - same
                      Medley : Joe Turner Blues /St Louis Blues - same, 1918
                      Two-Key Rag - Conway's Band, 1916
                      That Moaning Saxophone Rag - The Six Brown Brothers, 1914
                      * Too Much Mustard - Europe's Society Orchstra, 1913
                      * Down Home Rag - same
                      * You're Here and I'm Here - same, 1914
                      The Castles In Europe, One Step - same
                      Castle Walk - same
                      A Coon Band Contest - Earl Fuller's Famous Jazz Band, 1917
                      Lil' Liza Jane - same
                      * Baltimore Buzz - Eubie Blake and his "Shuffle Along" Orch., 1921
                      Bandana Days - same

                      - Ragtime 1900-1930 - Jazz Tribune n 42 (double Black&White CD 74321264122)

                      All previous titles marked by an asterisk, plus :

                      A Coon Band Contest, - Vess Ossman, 1900
                      Rusty Rags - same, 1901
                      Cake-Walk Medley - The Victor Minstrels, 1902
                      Trombone Sneeze - Sousa's band, 1902
                      Silence and Fun - same, 1905
                      Buffalo Rag - Vess Ossman, 1906
                      St Louis Rag - Arthur Pryor's Band, 1906
                      A Coon Band Contest - same
                      Dill Pickles Rag - Chris Chapman & Victor Orch., 1908
                      At A Georgia Camp Meeting - Sousa's Band, 1908
                      Maple Leaf Rag - United States Marine Band, 1909
                      Black and White Rag - The Victor Dance Orchstra, 1909
                      Temptation Rag - Arthur Pryor's Band, 1910
                      The Ragtime Drummer - Arthur Pryor's Band, 1912
                      Florida Rag - Van Eps Trio, 1912
                      International Rag - Pietro Deiro, 1913
                      Hungarian Rag - Conway's Band, 1913
                      The Memphis Blues - Victor Military Band, 1914
                      Music Box Rag - same
                      Blame It On The Blues - same, 1915
                      Blue Frog Blues - The Six Brown Brothers, 1916
                      Dixie Jass One-Step - ODJB, 1917
                      Slippery Hank - Earl Fuller's Famous Jazz Band, 1917
                      Yah-De-Dah - same
                      Ross' Juba - Edddie Ross, 1922
                      Waiting For The Evenin' Mail - Sissle and Blake, 1923
                    • spacelights
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 10, 2006
                        Cheers, thanks again... (Volume 2 was the one I had remembered).