Ragtime

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2006
      Dear Scott,

      Please consider creating a ragtime page to complement your early jazz and
      early blues pages.

      It would be wonderful to hear the "first" ragtime recordings.

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy, Montréal
    • Scott Alexander
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
        > Please consider creating a ragtime page to complement your early jazz and
        > early blues pages.

        Andrew - Yeah I was working on that I might as well post it and get
        everyone's feed back on it. Let me know if I'm missing anything. Here is
        what I came up with:

        http://www.redhotjazz.com/firstragtimerecords.html

        The rules are the same as the First Jazz and Blues pages. The song should
        have some form of the word ragtime in the title or band name. Something
        that indicated that we were hearing ragtime. I've picked 1897 to 1903 as
        the time period that we'll consider to be the first of the first ragtime
        records.

        The big problem will be tracking down these recordings. I snagged a couple
        off the Internet Archive but they are not always the best with indicating
        which version of the recording is which issue number, etc. There also
        seems to be a bit of guess work on dates in the recording dates. So I'm
        iffy on posting those. I've consulted the discographies Sutton, Jansen,
        Rust as well as the Online Discography Project and some other odds and
        ends. Consider this list a work in progress.

        I don't have any of these 78s or cylinders. A few of the songs where
        issued on LPs which I own but I haven't digitized and posted any of them yet.

        Time to skedaddle,
        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.ccom
      • Andrew Homzy
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
          Andrew - Yeah I was working on that I might as well post it and get
          everyone's feed back on it. Let me know if I'm missing anything. Here is
          what I came up with:

          http://www.redhotjazz.com/firstragtimerecords.html

          Dear Scott,

          Thank you for considering this. I look forward to hearing some of the music
          as it becomes available. Isn't there an Edison site which has Public Domain
          recordings?

          Regarding the following - While I haven't heard it, could this be the first
          drum solo in recorded history?

          The Ragtime Drummer
          (J. Leubie Hill) James I. Lent
          Drum Solo with the London Regimental Band 1903
          Lambert 25

          Cheers,

          Andrew Homzy, Montréal

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
            > Regarding the following - While I haven't heard it, could this be the first
            > drum solo in recorded history?
            >
            > The Ragtime Drummer
            > (J. Leubie Hill) James I. Lent
            > Drum Solo with the London Regimental Band 1903
            > Lambert 25

            This has been reissued before, although I'm not sure if it was the Lambert recording or another label. There was a John RT Davies transfer of the title on the Anthology of Jazz Drumming Volume 1, issued on the now-defunct French Masters of Jazz label.

            There are many early ragtime recordings on Archeophone reissues - one in fact devoted to Ragtime and the "Yearbooks" for the 1890s include several. And don't forget the four volumes of "Ragtime to Jazz" on Timeless, although these probably concentrate on ragtime recordings with a close relationship to early jazz and would hence not be the very earlist recordings.

            In the LP days, there were a couple on French RCA - maybe the Jazz Tribune reissue also made it to CD, and there were several Folkways LPs.

            Michael Rader
            Karlsruhe, Germany

          • howardrye
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
              wrote:

              > > Regarding the following - While I haven't heard it, could this be
              the first
              > > drum solo in recorded history?
              > >
              > > The Ragtime Drummer
              > > (J. Leubie Hill) James I. Lent
              > > Drum Solo with the London Regimental Band 1903
              > > Lambert 25
              >

              > This has been reissued before, although I'm not sure if it was the
              Lambert recording or another

              The Edison Bell version of 12 November 1904 is currently available on
              Neophone 9 "Out Of the Dawn". This is also accompanied by the London
              Regimental Band.

              Details of Neophone CDs can be found at
              <http://www.neophone.freeserve.co.uk/>

              Lent was the drummer in the pit-band for the 1904 London production of
              "In Dahomey", described in programmes as "America's Best Orchestral
              Drummer". On a later American issue he is described as "New York
              Hippdrome Drummer". He also recorded ragtime bell solos whilst in London.
            • spacelights
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
                wrote:

                > In the LP days, there were a couple on French RCA

                I do remember one of those, in the great 'Black and White' series...
                It had some cakewalks (one or two perhaps titled simply "Cakewalk")
                from around the turn of the century. Does anyone know the
                name/catalog number of this LP?

                John
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
                  > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> In the LP days, there were a couple on French RCA
                  >
                  > I do remember one of those, in the great 'Black and White' series...
                  > It had some cakewalks (one or two perhaps titled simply "Cakewalk")
                  > from around the turn of the century. Does anyone know the
                  > name/catalog number of this LP?

                  I have two of these :
                  - Ragtime and Novelty Music Volume 1 (1906-1934) RCA FXM1 7185
                  reissue Black&White Vol. 152
                  - Ragtime "Cake-Walks, Military Bands, Ragtime Orchestras, Coon Cotests,
                  Blues and Jass" Volume 2 (1900-1921)
                  RCA PM 42402 Black&White Vol. 190

                  Also a reissue of Jazz Tribune 42 as a double CD; I'll list titles later if
                  you like.

                  Patrice
                • Scott Alexander
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
                    I've added some more song titles to the first ragtime records list:
                    http://www.redhotjazz.com/firstragtimerecords.html
                    (no audio yet)

                    Scott Alexander
                    The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                    www.redhotjazz.com

                  • spacelights
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 7, 2006
                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
                      <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                      > I have two of these :
                      > - Ragtime and Novelty Music Volume 1 (1906-1934) RCA FXM1 7185
                      > reissue Black&White Vol. 152
                      > - Ragtime "Cake-Walks, Military Bands, Ragtime Orchestras, Coon
                      Cotests,
                      > Blues and Jass" Volume 2 (1900-1921)
                      > RCA PM 42402 Black&White Vol. 190
                      >
                      > Also a reissue of Jazz Tribune 42 as a double CD; I'll list titles
                      later if
                      > you like.

                      Excellent--thanks Patrice--that would be wonderful.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 10, 2006
                        So, as pomised...

                        - Ragtime and Novelty Music Volume 1 (1906-1934) RCA FXM1 7185, Black&White
                        Vol. 152

                        * Desecretion Rag - Felix Arndt, 1914
                        From Soup To Nuts - same
                        A Bunch Of Rags - Vess L. Ossman, 1908
                        The Buffalo Rag - same, 1909
                        St Louis Tickle - Ossman-Dudley Trio, 1906
                        Dixie Girl - same
                        * Operatic Rag - Joseph Moskowitz, 1916
                        * Laughing Rag - Sam Moore, 1921
                        Notoriety Rag - Fred Van Eps Trio, 1914
                        * Raggin' The Scale - Fred Van Eps + Orch., 1916
                        Charleston Chuckles - Zez Confrey & Orch., 1924
                        * I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight - Fank Banta, 1925
                        Sweet Man - same
                        * Maple Leaf Rag - Victor Arden Trio, 1930
                        West Dallas Rag - Robert Cooper, 1934
                        Bubbles - Johnny Johnson, 1934

                        - Ragtime, "Cake-Walks, Military Bands, Ragtime Orchestras, Coon Contests,
                        Blues and Jass" Volume 2 (1900-1921) RCA PM 42402 Black&White Vol. 190

                        Cake Walk In The Sky - Victor Dance Orchestra, 1905
                        * Cake Walk - Anon. band, 1900?
                        Smokey Mokes - Metropolitan Orchestra, 1900
                        Whistling Rufus - Sousa's Band, 1900
                        The Cake Walk - The Victor Minstrels, 1902
                        * Alexander's Ragtime Band - Victor Military Band, 1911
                        Slippery Place Rag - same
                        Medley : Joe Turner Blues /St Louis Blues - same, 1918
                        Two-Key Rag - Conway's Band, 1916
                        That Moaning Saxophone Rag - The Six Brown Brothers, 1914
                        * Too Much Mustard - Europe's Society Orchstra, 1913
                        * Down Home Rag - same
                        * You're Here and I'm Here - same, 1914
                        The Castles In Europe, One Step - same
                        Castle Walk - same
                        A Coon Band Contest - Earl Fuller's Famous Jazz Band, 1917
                        Lil' Liza Jane - same
                        * Baltimore Buzz - Eubie Blake and his "Shuffle Along" Orch., 1921
                        Bandana Days - same

                        - Ragtime 1900-1930 - Jazz Tribune n 42 (double Black&White CD 74321264122)

                        All previous titles marked by an asterisk, plus :

                        A Coon Band Contest, - Vess Ossman, 1900
                        Rusty Rags - same, 1901
                        Cake-Walk Medley - The Victor Minstrels, 1902
                        Trombone Sneeze - Sousa's band, 1902
                        Silence and Fun - same, 1905
                        Buffalo Rag - Vess Ossman, 1906
                        St Louis Rag - Arthur Pryor's Band, 1906
                        A Coon Band Contest - same
                        Dill Pickles Rag - Chris Chapman & Victor Orch., 1908
                        At A Georgia Camp Meeting - Sousa's Band, 1908
                        Maple Leaf Rag - United States Marine Band, 1909
                        Black and White Rag - The Victor Dance Orchstra, 1909
                        Temptation Rag - Arthur Pryor's Band, 1910
                        The Ragtime Drummer - Arthur Pryor's Band, 1912
                        Florida Rag - Van Eps Trio, 1912
                        International Rag - Pietro Deiro, 1913
                        Hungarian Rag - Conway's Band, 1913
                        The Memphis Blues - Victor Military Band, 1914
                        Music Box Rag - same
                        Blame It On The Blues - same, 1915
                        Blue Frog Blues - The Six Brown Brothers, 1916
                        Dixie Jass One-Step - ODJB, 1917
                        Slippery Hank - Earl Fuller's Famous Jazz Band, 1917
                        Yah-De-Dah - same
                        Ross' Juba - Edddie Ross, 1922
                        Waiting For The Evenin' Mail - Sissle and Blake, 1923
                      • spacelights
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 10, 2006
                          Cheers, thanks again... (Volume 2 was the one I had remembered).