NEW KING OLIVER REISSUE

  • ofellows@tin.it
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 4, 2006
      From: enrico borsetti
      Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2006 8:51 PM
      Subject: NEW KING OLIVER REISSUE

      The long awaited re-issue of King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band has finally
      arrived!
      This new set features fresh transfers and non-invasive restorations by Doug
      Benson, with notes by David Sager -- plus an introduction by Dan
      Morgenstern.

      Read about "King Oliver - Off the Record: The Complete 1923 Jazz Band
      Sides" at:

      http://www.archeophone.com/index.php

      Many thanks
      David Sager

      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 5, 2006
        I baulk at the blurb --'first remastering for decades'

        The JRT Retrieval of 1995 was a profound revelation. Can this be bettered ?

        What source used for remastering ?

        What is non-invasive ?
        .

      • Hugh Crozier
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 5, 2006
          I share this opinion. I doubt if the JRT issue can be improved.

          Hugh

          I baulk at the blurb --'first remastering for decades'

          The JRT Retrieval of 1995 was a profound revelation. Can this be bettered ?

          What source used for remastering ?

          What is non-invasive ?
          .

        • David W. Littlefield
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 5, 2006
            I just visited the Archeohone website, which has it's own blurb, and links
            to the outrageous and uninformative "On the Record" blurb, and fired off
            an eMail to Archeophone.

            I do remind fans of JRT Davies' work that he is often quoted as saying that
            the classics should be retransferred every 10 years or so because the
            technology is continually improving.

            Members of this list who don't have any Olivers or have never heard them
            should get the 18 or 20 track Naxos collection transferred by David
            Lennick. When I was transcribing the '23 Olivers, I used the Retrieval set,
            but I found Lennick's work revealing in several instances where the cornets
            were easier to distinguish.

            --Sheik

          • loerchen2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 5, 2006
              I wouldn't rush to criticize this before you've heard it -- a couple of my
              musician friends (who are also record collectors) heard it pre-release and say
              that it is excellent, and is indeed better than the Retrieval set in some
              aspects....

              Sue

            • stewmclean
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 5, 2006
                Hi Sue,I would agree with you and wait and Hear the CD
                first.You can get some sound samples at
                http://www.archeophone.com/product_info.php?products_id=85

                The Windows Media player would be the better choice over the Real
                Audio.
                As for the CD it's self, there always improving the sound on them.
                At one time they would just sample the the 78 at the standard
                44.100/16bit.Now there using at the least the 96k/24bit and then
                mastering the CD at the standard 44.100/16bit.
                From the sample I heard,I will order the CD.
                Stewart
                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, loerchen2@... wrote:

                > I wouldn't rush to criticize this before you've heard it -- a couple
                of my
                > musician friends (who are also record collectors) heard it pre-
                release and say
                > that it is excellent, and is indeed better than the Retrieval set in
                some
                > aspects....
                >
                > Sue

              • john schott
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 5, 2006
                  As others have noted, $30 is a bunch of money for music you've probably
                  already purchased at least twice, even if it is among the greatest music.
                  Part of me feels, like some software upgrades, I'll just wait until the
                  inevitable upgrade AFTER this one, when they'll be able to give me the smell
                  in the room that day back in 1923, or individual sliders for each
                  instrument, so that I can do my own mix.
                  Archeophone is my current favorite record company (well, let's say it's
                  a tie for 1st with Old Hat, Revenent, and Jazz Oracle), and if they say
                  something is cool, I'm well disposed to believe them. But since, I'm
                  guessing, 75% of the people their email or website reaches already have the
                  J.R.T. Davies set, I sort of wish they'd meet that comparison head on, and
                  really make a case for the new one.
                  If anyone can help me decide if I MUST have the new set, or if that
                  money would be better spent on either 1) other Archeophone reissues, 2)
                  Harlem Hamfats Vols. 2-5 on Document, or 3) my son's education, I'd be most
                  grateful.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 5, 2006
                    "First remastering in decades" to me suggests lacking awareness of the Retrieval set.

                    Even so, I would wait until passing judgement over Archeophone, or whoever it was who is producing this set (I think strictly speaking it is a separate endeavour). The blurb insinuates that the set uses a freshly assembled set of originals and that half the trick was actually playing them properly. The engineer, Doug Benson, did good work on the Hit of the Week recordings (at least Vol. 1, I don't have vol. 2) and does respect the original sound of the 78s.

                    I'm not sure what kind of sources were available to John RT Davies for the Retrievals and how extensive the search for better copies was. In fact I seem to recall someone telling me that John had to resort to tape dubs made in the 1950s in some cases, since the original 78s were no longer in as good condition. David French sent me a cassette dub of one of the OKehs which sounded very good and fresh, suggesting that there would have been room for improvement, had John RT have had access to better condition originals. Archeophone highlights the *consistency* of the new set and claims that even the intro to "Zulu's Ball" sounds good .- unfortunately they don't include it in the sample.

                    Archeophones are usually very lovingly produced - some of their early productions were however marred by digital artifacts. These have gradually been replaced with upgraded audio quality, usually adding tracks, and improved booklets. The "year" series are particularly attractive, having information both on the music and the social background.

                    I would be interested to hear opinions from people who have heard both sets - even if $30 isn't quite peanuts, it would be worth the expenditure to hear really improved versions of these classics. Oh, and even then the Retrieval wouldn't quite be redundant since it has the Oliver/Morton duos and the Oliver accompaniments to Butterbeans and Susie.

                    Michael Rader

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 6, 2006
                      Discussions on the "Red Hot Jazz" list do not go unnoticed - little wonder now that we're approaching the 400 subscriber mark. As a result of the debate on the new King Oliver set on Archeophone, I received an e-mail from Richard Martin, one of Archeophone's owners/producers. Richard attached an e-mail from engineer Doug Benson which throws light on the new production and confirms many things I speculated on in my own e-mail on the subject:

                      " I'm not surprised that some collectors might have a somewhat 'glandular'
                      reaction to the Oliver advertising-- it would be easy to assume that our
                      claims are some kind of attack on the integrity or talent of John R. T. Davies.
                      In actuality, John was a friend of mine, and the whole inspiration for this
                      reissue came from an email that he sent to me in 2002. The quote below
                      is taken from that email, and is in fact also included in my booklet notes for the project.

                      <<In 2002 the late John R. T. Davies wrote to me: "I understand your
                      disenchantment with reissues of the Oliver Creole Band. When I did them last
                      time I took a different approach... rather than kill the surface or accent
                      the two cornets, I attempted to rebuild the BAND. They're not beautiful (I
                      didn't have access to originals of many) but at time of writing, that set is
                      the best we have." I believe that this reissue approaches what John might
                      have created with access to improved source material, and it would not exist
                      without his guidance and encouragement.>>"

                      As I said in my e-mail, the new release has gone back to source and uses fresh remasters of all the recordings.

                      Doug Benson incidentally dedicated Volume 1 of the Hit of the Week recordings on Archeophone to the memory of John RT Davies.

                      Michael Rader
                      Karlsruhe,
                      Germany

                    • davidsager1958
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 6, 2006
                        I think I can clear up the confusion:

                        This is in fact the first time in decades that all 37 titles by the
                        Oliver 1923 band have been newly transferred and remastered. The
                        Retrieval set used a few dubbed titles plus some transfers that Mr.
                        Davies did back in the 50s.

                        Please explore the Archeophone site a little further and read the
                        comments from Dan Morgenstern, George Avakian and others AND even
                        better -- listen to the examples provided.

                        Best

                        David Sager

                        -- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I share this opinion. I doubt if the JRT issue can be improved.
                        >
                        > Hugh

                      • john schott
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 6, 2006
                          Thanks for posting this - I imagine it's what many of us ASSUMED, on some
                          level, but I appreciate it.

                        • loerchen2@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 6, 2006
                            Well, I just got my copy today (thanks, David!) and it is everything I hoped
                            it would be. I'm amazed at the clarity and balance of the music. Best of
                            all, I just discovered some Johnny Dodds riffs that I've never heard before,
                            and the liner notes are excellent. This is a keeper!

                            Sue

                          • spacelights
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 6, 2006
                              In my opinion, the word "remastered" fosters confusion as well... If
                              an album or collection has been remastered, this means the very same
                              source--collectively--was mastered once before. If these are indeed
                              new transfers, then the disc is newly mastered, not remastered.

                              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "davidsager1958"

                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 6, 2006
                                David,

                                Could you please provide suggestions *which* tracks are best to sample the improvement. As I've said before, most computers don't provide really good listening experience and a comparison (e.g. with the Retrieval) would be most revealing if it were possible to go directly to those tracks which actually come from originals rather than the 1950s dubs used for the Retrieval.

                                If you've been collecting for any length of time, you grow wary of claims made for reissues.

                                Michael Rader

                                Karlsruhe, Germany

                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 6, 2006
                                  For instance. There is only one copy of Gennett 5275 ( Workingman/Zulus )
                                  extant.

                                  Who owns this and was it made available for re-mastering or even 'mastering'
                                  ?

                                • davidsager1958
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 7, 2006
                                    Hi Michael

                                    The samples, I think, are all representative and consistent, so I
                                    don't think that any one particular is better than another.

                                    Do, however, sample "Krooked Blues" -- Joe Oliver's blues style is so
                                    very evident on this one as he is rather exposed.

                                    Perhaps if you play a bit of the Retrieval on your computer speakers
                                    and then try a few samples, then you can get an idea...or perhaps
                                    rote your computer through your stereo system...

                                    David

                                    _
                                    > Viren-Scan für Ihren PC! Jetzt für jeden. Sofort, online und
                                    kostenlos.
                                    > Gleich testen! http://www.pc-sicherheit.web.de/freescan/?mc=022222

                                  • davidsager1958
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 7, 2006
                                      OKeh, I re-read your question and have a somewhat better answer...

                                      "Krooked Blues" as it turns out was one of the dubs that John R. T.
                                      had used on the Retireval/King Jazz set. Therefore "Alligator Hop"
                                      was from a dub as well.

                                      I'll try and find out which others came from dubbed sources.

                                      _

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 7, 2006
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 7, 2006
                                          Having further investigated the Archeophone site I find my earlier question
                                          answered and that the copy of Gennett 5275 was used.

                                          However, the link in the text referring to Gennett 5275 plays the Okeh '
                                          Working Man ' --- confusing.

                                          The track list further down does indeed play the Gennett.

                                          The transcriptions cited as 'dubs' on the Retrieval -- ' Krooked' and
                                          'Alligator' -- even if so, are among the best on that issue and I cannot
                                          hear any improvement on the limited clip available from Archeophone.

                                          But PC soundstream never is a fair test but generally the Archeophone sound
                                          seems good but then so is the Retrieval.

                                        • stewmclean
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 8, 2006
                                            Many thanks for the inf. Sue,sounds like it's worth while
                                            adding the set to the collcetion.Just to hear anything new by Johnny
                                            Dodds would make it money well spent.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 8, 2006
                                              Sue

                                              What side are the newly discovered Dodds riffs on ?

                                              I cannot find timings for the Archeophone, can anybody oblige ?

                                              I'm interested in what pitch 'corrections' have been made v.v. the
                                              Retrieval.

                                            • Hugh Crozier
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 9, 2006
                                                Sorry - I've missed something here. What is this about newly discovered Dodds riffs? Being a huge fan I would love to hear them.

                                                Hugh

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 9, 2006
                                                  David implied that the King Jazz and Retrieval sets are synonymous. This
                                                  never was so and I've just relistened. The Retrieval is far far superior.
                                                  More body, resonance, space, detail and dynamics, albeit at the acceptable
                                                  cost of more surface.

                                                  If indeed these are from the same JRT tape --- and they certainly sound as
                                                  if from the same copies -- and assuming that no further filtering
                                                  /equalising etc, digital or otherwise, was imposed by King Jazz -- ( and I
                                                  suspect it was ) --then this indicates just how influential the actual
                                                  digitalising process is.

                                                • spacelights
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 10, 2006

                                                    > David implied that the King Jazz and Retrieval sets are synonymous. This
                                                    > never was so and I've just relistened. The Retrieval is far far
                                                    superior.
                                                    > More body, resonance, space, detail and dynamics, albeit at the
                                                    acceptable
                                                    > cost of more surface.
                                                    >
                                                    > If indeed these are from the same JRT tape --- and they certainly
                                                    sound as
                                                    > if from the same copies -- and assuming that no further filtering
                                                    > /equalising etc, digital or otherwise, was imposed by King Jazz -- (
                                                    and I
                                                    > suspect it was ) --then this indicates just how influential the actual
                                                    > digitalising process is.

                                                    The implication perhaps wasn't intentional, but the use of the
                                                    singular word "set" could cause someone to think the two CDs were the
                                                    same...

                                                    I've noticed a somewhat similar dichotomy between King Jazz and
                                                    Retrieval CD issues of Morton's 1923-1924 solos, which I'm guessing
                                                    came from identical transfers. King Jazz does have more surface
                                                    noise, and the sound varies a bit from track to track. In a few
                                                    cases, this may provide a greater opportunity for equalization "to
                                                    taste," at the lisener's discretion. I like the character of the
                                                    Retrieval sound, which seems more uniform--usually something achieved
                                                    through mastering.

                                                    King Jazz credits John R.T. for "Transfers," Cesar Garcia for
                                                    "Pre-mastering Re-recording," and Digipro for "DAT Mastering."
                                                    Retrieval simply credits John R.T. with "Audio Restoration."

                                                    John
                                                  • davidsager1958
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 10, 2006
                                                      Hello Friends,

                                                      John R. T. told someone...I cannot recall who it was now, that both
                                                      King Jazz and Retrieval were from the same tapes. I agree that the
                                                      Retrieval set sounds better than the King Jazz.

                                                      I'll never forget the one time I visited John and he played me the
                                                      tape of his restoration of Oliver's "Mandy Lee Blues" -- it was
                                                      thrilling! He was a brilliant man.

                                                      David

                                                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@...>