who played drums on japanese sandman

  • domingo warner
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2006
      i want to know if someone knows who played the drums on Bix Beiderbecke Japanese sandman on 1928, who sang on Bix Take your tomorrow and what kind of brass was played on Paul Whiteman From Monday on, if trumpet or cornet by Bix, Jimmy Dorsey and Charlie Margulis.If someone can help, we are waiting

    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2006
        Just got back from a vacation in Europe, and I am just catching up
        with the mail.

        The drummer in "Japanese Sandman" (Oct 5, 1928) by Frank Trumbauer and
        His Orchestra has not been identified. The name is illegible in
        Trumbauer's ledger. Looks like "kits" according to Evans and Kiner.

        The vocal in "Take Your Tomorrow" was by Trumbauer and Marlin Hurt.

        About "From Monday On" take 3: Don Rayno writes,

        "The Victor session log lists only two trumpets for this selection.
        These would be Margulis and Bix(Bix on cornet). The third voice in the
        hot brass trio which figures so prominently in this record is the
        trombone of Bill Rank, not the cornet of Jimmy Dorsey, as has been
        previously supposed. Jimmy Dorsey who had already left the band, was
        not playing in the brass trio on the first "From Monday On" session."

        Domingo, if you are interested in drummers in all of Bix and Tram
        recordings, I refer you to my article in the IAJRC Journal a couple of
        years ago. The article is also available in my website. See
        http://bixography.com/bixdrummers.html

        Albert

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, domingo warner <domingowarner@...>