Rudi Blesh¹s All-Star Stompers

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hello,

      I'm looking for discographical details for the Blesh part of this session -
      personnel/tunes.

      Alas, I don't have the complete recording - is it on CD?

      Rudi Blesh¹s All-Star Stompers and Barry Ulanov¹s All-Star Metronome
      Jazzmen, ³52nd Street Theme,² WOR radio broadcast, Sept. 20, 1947.
      Philology, Volume 17, W 847.

      Charlie Parker Session 47-09-20:

      Date: 20 September 1947
      Place: Mutual Studios, New York City, NY.
      Musicians: Barry Ulanov and his All Star Metronome Jazzmen: Charlie Parker
      alto sax, Dizzy Gillespie trumpet, John LaPorta c, Lenny Tristano piano,
      Billy Bauer guitar, Ray Brown bass, Max Roach drums.
      Recording: US Treasury Radio Broadcast for Mutual
      Alternate Issues:
      Primary Source: Charlie Parker. Bird¹s Eyes Last Unissued, Vol. 17.
      Philology CD W 847.2; LP-Spotlite 107; ZIM ZL 1001

      1. Ko Ko (Theme with voice-over into;)
           Announcement (0:52)
      2. On the Sunny Side of the Street into
      3. Fifty-Second Street Theme (3:42)
      4. How Deep is the Ocean? (3:00)
      5. Tiger Rag into
           Announcement (4:13) into
      6. Fifty Second Street Theme (0:48) (theme with voice-over)
    • jaykay_4444
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
        The September 20, 1947 "This Is Jazz" group included Davison,
        Archey, Hall, Sutton, Barker, Foster, Dodds. They played:
        Indiana
        Sunday
        Liza
        I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me
        St. Louis Blues
        All of Me
        Dippermouth Blues

        The broadcast is on a double CD, Jazzology 1041/42, Volume 9 of the
        series, which includes the final three programs and a fill-in from a
        1948 American Music Festival program.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
          on 3/11/06 14:09, Andrew Homzy at homzy@... wrote:

          > I'm looking for discographical details for the Blesh part of this session -
          > personnel/tunes.
          >
          > Alas, I don't have the complete recording - is it on CD?
          >
          > Rudi Blesh¹s All-Star Stompers and Barry Ulanov¹s All-Star Metronome
          > Jazzmen, ³52nd Street Theme,² WOR radio broadcast, Sept. 20, 1947.
          > Philology, Volume 17, W 847.
          >
          > Charlie Parker Session 47-09-20:
          >
          > Date: 20 September 1947
          > Place: Mutual Studios, New York City, NY.
          > Musicians: Barry Ulanov and his All Star Metronome Jazzmen: Charlie Parker
          > alto sax, Dizzy Gillespie trumpet, John LaPorta c, Lenny Tristano piano,
          > Billy Bauer guitar, Ray Brown bass, Max Roach drums.
          > Recording: US Treasury Radio Broadcast for Mutual
          > Alternate Issues:
          > Primary Source: Charlie Parker. Bird¹s Eyes Last Unissued, Vol. 17.
          > Philology CD W 847.2; LP-Spotlite 107; ZIM ZL 1001
          >
          > 1. Ko Ko (Theme with voice-over into;)
          >      Announcement (0:52)
          > 2. On the Sunny Side of the Street into
          > 3. Fifty-Second Street Theme (3:42)
          > 4. How Deep is the Ocean? (3:00)
          > 5. Tiger Rag into
          >      Announcement (4:13) into
          > 6. Fifty Second Street Theme (0:48) (theme with voice-over)

          According to Jack Litchfield's "This is Jazz" discography (Montreal, 1985),

          Rudi Blesh's All Star Stompers comprised:
          Wild Bill Davison, c; Jimmy Archey, tb; Edmond Hall, cl; Ralph Sutton, p;
          Danny Barker, g; Pops Foster, sb; Baby Dodds, d.

          They played:
          Blesh's Theme; On The Sunny Side Of The Street; How Deep Is The Ocean; Tiger
          Rag

          In other words the same titles as the boppers, which was the point of the
          broadcast.

          The only reissue I can trace is Tiger Rag on Storyville SLP4069, but my
          sources are definitely not up to date.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
            on 3/11/06 19:06, jaykay_4444 at jaykay_4444@... wrote:

            > The September 20, 1947 "This Is Jazz" group included Davison,
            > Archey, Hall, Sutton, Barker, Foster, Dodds. They played:
            > Indiana
            > Sunday
            > Liza
            > I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me
            > St. Louis Blues
            > All of Me
            > Dippermouth Blues
            >
            > The broadcast is on a double CD, Jazzology 1041/42, Volume 9 of the
            > series, which includes the final three programs and a fill-in from a
            > 1948 American Music Festival program.

            This is the This Is Jazz broadcast which was transmitted the same day. All
            sources imply these are two separate broadcasts, though by the same band.

            I assumed the two Bands for Bonds broadcasts were not on the Jazzology set.
            Am I right?