new Sam Lanin cd from Bryan Wright

  • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
      Bryan Wright is offering a new Sam Lanin CD
      (http://www.rivermontrecords.com/). This appears to be a nice
      complement to the recent Lanin release from Frog.

      Last February Bryan mentioned that he was planning a CD of material by
      the Virginians by year's end. Does anyone know the status of that
      project? Bryan?

      Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    • vntager8io
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2006
        Hi, Gerard and All.

        Thanks for the mention. Yes, the Sam Lanin CD is finally out! The selection was made with
        an ear towards "hot" dance band sides, and the CD features early performances by Benny
        Goodman, Glenn Miller (who arranges a few of the tunes as well), Tommy and Jimmy
        Dorsey, Red Nichols, Rube Bloom, Arthur Schutt, Miff Mole, and others. Worlds Records will
        have the Sam Lanin CD very soon.

        The Virginians project is still in the works. I've had to push it and a couple other projects
        back a little bit to be able to get a couple other CDs out sooner that were on tighter
        deadlines (including a soon-to-be-released second "Big Broadcast" CD compiled and
        annotated by Rich Conaty featuring some real gems, if I do say so myself!). I'm thinking
        now that the Virginians CD might be out in the middle of next year. Right now, I'm
        working on finishing up a CD of Frank Banta's novelty piano solos on Victor and Banner
        (already "remastered" and awaiting layout), and after that will be a CD of moderately hot
        records by an early jazz group on Columbia, The Happy Six. Those are undergoing
        restoration now. Perhaps after the Happy Six I'll get the Virginians out. Sorry for the delay!

        On another note, I've been reading the thread on the new King Oliver reissue with interest
        and have ordered a copy based on the comments here. I have all the King Olivers in
        mediocre sound on LP, but the samples on the Archeophone website sounded marvelous!

        Bryan Wright

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

        > Bryan Wright is offering a new Sam Lanin CD
        > (http://www.rivermontrecords.com/). This appears to be a nice
        > complement to the recent Lanin release from Frog.
        >
        > Last February Bryan mentioned that he was planning a CD of material by
        > the Virginians by year's end. Does anyone know the status of that
        > project? Bryan?
        >
        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
          Bryan:

          Thanks for the update on your projects, which I'm sure we all very
          much look forward to. How soon might the audio clips be on your
          website (http://www.rivermontrecords.com)?

          Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "vntager8io" <bryan@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Gerard and All.
          >
          > Thanks for the mention. Yes, the Sam Lanin CD is finally out! The
          selection was made with
          > an ear towards "hot" dance band sides, and the CD features early
          performances by Benny
          > Goodman, Glenn Miller (who arranges a few of the tunes as well),
          Tommy and Jimmy
          > Dorsey, Red Nichols, Rube Bloom, Arthur Schutt, Miff Mole, and
          others. Worlds Records will
          > have the Sam Lanin CD very soon.
          >
          > The Virginians project is still in the works. I've had to push it
          and a couple other projects
          > back a little bit to be able to get a couple other CDs out sooner
          that were on tighter
          > deadlines (including a soon-to-be-released second "Big Broadcast"
          CD compiled and
          > annotated by Rich Conaty featuring some real gems, if I do say so
          myself!). I'm thinking
          > now that the Virginians CD might be out in the middle of next year.
          Right now, I'm
          > working on finishing up a CD of Frank Banta's novelty piano solos
          on Victor and Banner
          > (already "remastered" and awaiting layout), and after that will be
          a CD of moderately hot
          > records by an early jazz group on Columbia, The Happy Six. Those
          are undergoing
          > restoration now. Perhaps after the Happy Six I'll get the
          Virginians out. Sorry for the delay!

          > On another note, I've been reading the thread on the new King
          Oliver reissue with interest
          > and have ordered a copy based on the comments here. I have all the
          King Olivers in
          > mediocre sound on LP, but the samples on the Archeophone website
          sounded marvelous!

          > Bryan Wright
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick"
          <gfitzpatrick@> wrote:

          > > Bryan Wright is offering a new Sam Lanin CD
          > > (http://www.rivermontrecords.com/). This appears to be a nice
          > > complement to the recent Lanin release from Frog.
          > >
          > > Last February Bryan mentioned that he was planning a CD of
          material by
          > > the Virginians by year's end. Does anyone know the status of that
          > > project? Bryan?
          > >
          > > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        • vntager8io
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
            Hi, Gerard.

            Sound clips for the Sam Lanin CD were posted to the website today. (Keep in mind that the
            sound clips are compressed for internet streaming and do not accurately reflect the sound
            quality of the CDs... they're provided more as a way to sample the music itself.)

            Thanks,