Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jack Teagarden

  • Prof_Hi_Jinx
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2006
      There is nothing in Census records which suggests anything but white
      ancestry for Jack.

      In 1880, his grandfather, J(ohn) M. Teagarden (then aged 30, W) and his wife
      Beatress (sic: 21, W) were on a farm in Houston County, in the Piney Woods
      of east TX. They had twin children aged 1, Charley (Jack's father) and
      Fannie (who seems to have died young).

      John had been born in Louisiana to a father born in Virginia and mother from
      Ohio. Beatress and her parents were all from Alabama. By 1900, the family
      was in Wilbarger County, near Wichita Falls.

      Skip to 1910, and Charles W. Teagarden (31) and his wife Helen (20) were in
      Vernon, Wilbarger County, with Jack (4) and Charles' brother Will (23).
      Helen is shown as having been born in Texas to a father from Germany and
      mother from Pennsylvania. Both men were shown as "ginner, Cotton gin".

      By 1920, Helen was a 29-year-old widow, occupation "Teacher, music" living
      with her 4 children at Chappell, Deuel County, Nebraska - Weldon L (Jack),
      14; Norma, 8; Charles, 6; and Clois, 4.

      Neither Jack nor his wife Addie appear to be in the SSDI, but Clois is shown
      as born 16 December 1915 and to have died during June 1969.

      I visited Norma Louise Teagarden (later, Friedlander) when she was living in
      San Francisco in 1995 or 1996. She was a refined old lady by then, but
      there was much good jazz played at her birthday party, including a number
      which featured 5 trombonists playing at the same time. Norma was born 28
      April 1911 and died on 5 June 1996. I didn't detect any Indian blood in her
      features - she looked rather Teutonic.

      Norma's death entry shows her mother's name as Gienger, but in the 1900
      Census it is shown as Giengar. The family was living in Wichita County, TX.
      Helen was born in January 1889, to Henry Giengar (50 - born in Germany, as
      were his parents) and his wife Tillie (40 - born Pennsylvania, as were her
      parents).

      Bob