Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Vian (was: Claude Luter)

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2006
      on 27/10/06 18:23, Patrice Champarou at patrice.champarou@... wrote:

      > Jean-Pierre Lion told me that there were actually four recordings by Vian
      > and Luter (Aug. and July 1944), available on the companion CD of a book by
      > Frank Ténot (Boris Vian: Jazz à Saint-Germain)

      Not to be confused with his Boris Vian: le Jazz et Saint-Germain, 1993 (note
      subtle difference in title), which does not have the CD (though a lot of the
      contents of the books are identical, the 1993 version is in larger format
      with more and better reproduced photos and much more desirable apart from
      the CD).

      When this thread first appeared I could only find the 1993 book and the 1999
      CD, and hence had no key to the CD. Having now found the book, I can confirm
      the above. Titles are Rosetta/Que reste-t-il de nos amours (24 July 1944)
      and I've Found A New Baby/Honeysuckle Rose (4 August 1944).

      Neither Vian (playing cornet) nor Luter sound anything like the standard
      revivalist models with which we are so familiar. Always assuming of course
      that the principal clarinet soloist is Luter and not Jef Gilson who is also
      said to be present. I am not at all familiar with the work of the latter.