Re: Washboard Rhythm Kings

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2006
      I just want to thank Agustin, Howard, David and Jack for the info on the
      Washboard Reythm Kings.

      For 55 years I've been collecting reissues and reading what I could
      about pre-bop jazz. And until now, I've been alone in that endeavor.
      Thanks to you folks, Red Hot Jazz and the Internet, I've found a
      "family".

      Martin Jelsema

      > on 25/10/06 15:41, Martin at martin@... wrote:
      >
      > > One of the first LP's I purchased as a youth was an "X" Vault
      Original
      > > (RCA) recording of the Washboard Rhythm Kings. Those eight sides are
      > > full of energy and fun.
      > >
      > > Rust shows three-plus pages of recordings performed by this unit
      from
      > > April/31 through November/35. Almost every session had different
      > > personnel. Carl Wade on tenor, Eddie Miles on piano and Steve
      > > Washington on banjo produce some continuity on several early
      sessions,
      > > while Wade and Haughton on trombone are present on the later
      sessions.
      > > Perhaps Wade is the leader/organizer? Clarence Profit and Taft
      Jordan
      > > were represented on a session each.
      > >
      > > This appears to be a recording unit. The first ten sessions were for
      > > Victor, then one Vocalian, one Columbia (Washboard Rhythm Band), two
      > > BlueBird and a Banner (Washboard Rhythm Boys) were recorded.
      > >
      > > I have read little or nothing in the literature, nor have I ever
      seen
      > > additional reissue collections on LP or CD. They aren't even
      mentioned
      > > on the Red Hot Jazz site. Can anyone shed further light on this
      > > infectious and versatile (from Old Yazoo to I Cover the Waterfront)
      > > phenomenon? Is the lack of "press" due to many poor or inconsistant
      > > performances, or have I just not happened on to the right source(s)?
      >
      > Most published personnels on these bands are pretty speculative except
      in so
      > far as they have taken notice of the researches of Theo Zwicky and
      Johnny
      > Simmen published in Storyville. The series "I'm Gonna Beat Me Some
      > Washboard" spread over issues 19, 20 and 22 is the key source, but
      there are
      > numerous letters and notes adding and correcting. These were basically
      > groups made up of Philadelphia musicians (recorded in Camden just
      across the
      > river) and this explains why they don't show up on other dates.
      >
      > As far as most journalists are concerned these were groups of unknowns
      and
      > unknowns don't get written about, hence the lack of literature.
      >
      > A complete reissue dubbed by John R.T. Davies was on the Collector's
      > Classics label in 5 Volumes (COCD17/18/25/26/30), but has presumably
      > vanished and awaits someone else picking the set up for reissue.
      COCD30, if
      > you can find it, also includes the Washboard Serenaders with Harold
      > Randolph's kazoo playing, also just discussed on this group.
      >
      > P.S. Valaida Snow who is still listed as the trumpeter on the 5
      October 1932