Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: vian (was: Claude Luter)

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2006
      > As a teenager, I read Vian's "Mood Indigo" - a second, U.S.A. 1968
      > translation of L'├ęcume des jours (1947).
      (...)
      > The book affected me deeply - the protagonist is dying because a lily is
      > growing in his chest - as I recall. And I was introduce to the philosophy
      > of
      > Jean-Saul Parte and his thesis on vomit. Heady stuff.

      Oooooooooppss... I think I got confused about the originator of the message,
      so impatient to reply that I missed this ;-)

      Anyway, we've got three translations for the same novel now!
      Talking about translations, Vian invented a lot of humorous titles, and
      disguised the American-sounding "Lady Be Good" - reportedly to avoid Nazi
      censorship - by phonetically turning it into "Les bigoudis" (the hair
      rollers).

      P.