Manhattan Merrymakers - 1 Wacky Song Added

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2005
      Uncle Dave Lewis has sent a wacky one to enjoy:

      Maggie! "Yes Ma'am?" (Come Right Upstairs)
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/mm/MaggieYesMaam.ram

      Thanks, Uncle Dave!
      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13 12:13 AM
        Greetings everybody

        The above title, Nichols Five Pennies 10.12.30 has a vocal by Wingy.

        I think Wingy seldom, if ever, is heard muted for obvious reasons but I
        think the muted trumpet solo is also by him, presumably playing into a metal
        derby on a stand. This work is no way like Nichols' own Muggsy derived muted
        style.

        I can find no sessionmates for this track on RHJ except maybe an
        undated --for some reason-- 'Rockin' Chair' which definitely has a Wingy
        vocal. However, the very fine trumpet work behind him does not sound like
        Nichols either but more like Charlie Teagarden who is listed on 'Corrinne'.
        Could the muted work on this side also be by him ? Are there any examples of
        his muted work out there ?

        Anybody know.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13 9:37 AM
          Dave, everyone else,

          Dave already raised this matter in a personal mail. There were three sides recorded at this session. The other two are "Bugaboo" and "How Come You Do Me Like You Do?" All three were reissued on LP in the past. The Five Pennies were the subject of a serialised discography "Re-minting the Pennies" by John R.T. Davies and others in Storyville. The team of listeners, whose ears are surely better than mine, are also puzzled by the trumpet soloist on "Corrinne", but confident in the identification of Manone on "Bugaboo" and Charlie Teagarden on "How Come...". Nichols was something of a chameleon, so it's not impossible that he plays the solo on "Corrinne".

          Cheers,

          Michael