Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Ellington´s "Tiger Rag" - 8jan29

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2006
      on 23/10/06 10:53, Agustín Pérez at ekebbbapg@... wrote:

      > So I infer that, if we draw a dividing line between jazz and blues in
      > the 20s, those two-parts 78s were quite usual for blues recordings, but
      > Ellington's "Tiger Rag" was the first jazz issue of this type.

      It depends whether you count Paul Whiteman's cod-classical recordings as
      jazz. I certainly don't but if you do, there is Mississippi Suite (Victor
      25859), September 1927; Metropolis (4 parts on Victor 35933/4), March 1928;
      Tchaikovskiana (Columbia 50113-D), June 1928.

      And that's not counting the recordings of Gershwin compositions, which I
      assume no one regards as jazz.