Johnny Dodds

  • Tony Standish
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 20, 2006
      Ahh, but Johnny did come back for the revival - as Cy Laurie! Never quite recaprured his old magic, though
      I always thought it was St Cyr talking...
      Tony

    • Hugh Crozier
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 21, 2006
        Ha ha yes - and always a semitone flat.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 21, 2010
          Looking to score Johnny Dodds' complete recordings.

          Does anyone know of a one shot buy? If not, how about a decipherable list of individual recordings?

          I greatly appreciate any help. I would be more than happy to return the favor. I am a completist, which makes satisfaction difficult. I generally like to do my own research - having trouble with this one though.

          And I'm new here, but I've really enjoyed the recent posts.

          Thanks,
          Stephen
        • Clifford B
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 22, 2010
            Greetings. I do not have any records to sell but I have recorded several Johnny Dodds 78s. These can be downloaded as mp3 files from my web page at:

            http://cdbpdx.com/78records

            Use the following to access:

            Username: New090908
            Password: 654321

            Hope you can find something you need! CDB

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "prewar_jelly" <stephendajr@...> wrote:

            > Looking to score Johnny Dodds' complete recordings.
            >
            > Does anyone know of a one shot buy? If not, how about a decipherable list of individual recordings?
            >
            > I greatly appreciate any help. I would be more than happy to return the favor. I am a completist, which makes satisfaction difficult. I generally like to do my own research - having trouble with this one though.
            >
            > And I'm new here, but I've really enjoyed the recent posts.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Stephen

          • prewar_jelly
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 22, 2010
              The Frog label has two discs covering complete recordings from 1926-1929. Is it safe to say that not much else was recorded before 1926, other than what was recorded with Jelly and Louis? What I gather is that these two discs along with the Johnny Dodds/Jimmy Blythe recordings cover most everything. Is this a correct assumption?

              Again, I appreciate any help.

              -Stephen

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford B" <78records@...> wrote:

              > Greetings. I do not have any records to sell but I have recorded several Johnny Dodds 78s. These can be downloaded as mp3 files from my web page at:
              >
              > http://cdbpdx.com/78records
              >
              > Use the following to access:
              >
              > Username: New090908
              > Password: 654321
              >
              > Hope you can find something you need! CDB
              >
              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "prewar_jelly" <stephendajr@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Looking to score Johnny Dodds' complete recordings.
              > >
              > > Does anyone know of a one shot buy? If not, how about a decipherable list of individual recordings?
              > >
              > > I greatly appreciate any help. I would be more than happy to return the favor. I am a completist, which makes satisfaction difficult. I generally like to do my own research - having trouble with this one though.
              > >
              > > And I'm new here, but I've really enjoyed the recent posts.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Stephen

            • Mordechai Litzman
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 22, 2010
                As far as I know there are over 240 recordings with Johnny Dodds. Below is one listing (I did not see any alternate takes listed).

                http://www.themeister.co.uk/dixie/johnny_dodds.htm

                There have been many reissues of his recordings, and I doubt that you will find a series that covers everything with overlap. Here is a site that lists many of the CDs published:

                http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/dodds_johnny/albums.jhtml

              • Mordechai Litzman
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 22, 2010
                  Sorry for the typo - I meant without overlap.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 22, 2010
                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "prewar_jelly" <stephendajr@...> wrote:

                    > The Frog label has two discs covering complete recordings from 1926-1929. Is it safe to say that not much else was recorded before 1926, other than what was recorded with Jelly and Louis? What I gather is that these two discs along with the Johnny Dodds/Jimmy Blythe recordings cover most everything. Is this a correct assumption?

                    Don't forget the OCJB sides from 1923.
                  • Stephen Adcock
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 22, 2010
                      What is OCJB?

                      > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: martin@...
                      > Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 00:31:06 +0000
                      > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Re: Johnny Dodds
                      >

                      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "prewar_jelly" <stephendajr@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The Frog label has two discs covering complete recordings from 1926-1929. Is it safe to say that not much else was recorded before 1926, other than what was recorded with Jelly and Louis? What I gather is that these two discs along with the Johnny Dodds/Jimmy Blythe recordings cover most everything. Is this a correct assumption?
                      >

                      > Don't forget the OCJB sides from 1923.

                    • Robert
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 23, 2010
                        The King Oliver Original Creole Jazz Band sides recorded for Gennett and Okeh in 1923, best found now on an Archaeophone double CD with near-miraculous sound quality.
                        You should also look into the two Dodds CDs on Black Swan that cover various sides he made for Paramount, and the CD on Retrieval that covers the NO Bootblacks, Wanderers, etc.
                        Robert Greenwood

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 23, 2010
                          …oh and there's an anthology on Upbeat that includes his last recordings and regarding which I dutifully contributed a rave review for New Orleans Music magazine when it came out a couple of years ago. It's great because it's Dodds, but infuriating because it's an anthology and as such can't be recommended over the more scholarly issues on Frog, Retrieval, Black Swan, Archaeophone, and Timeless.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                            Belatedly. We have here previously considered the relative merits of the
                            Retrieval and Archeophone Oliver CJB issues -- and I don't know where the O
                            crept in from.

                            Ideally, one should own both although generally the JRT Davies
                            transcriptions on the Retrieval sound more like real music, even if
                            sometimes less detail is discernable. Archeophone did have better sources in
                            several cases, especially the OKehs, but JRT's Columbias are far better.

                            Dodds, and any music from our period, is still best heard on JRT versions
                            which means the two Frogs and the Timeless with Blythe, although as far as I
                            know the tracks still run in wrong order, and the old JSP 1926-1928.

                            As far as I know, regrettably no JRT of the Paramounts including the Lovie
                            Austins. I don't have the Black Swans and am somewhat sceptical of the sound
                            quality from that stable. Can anybody report and is there a CD alternative ?