New Wilbur Sweatman CD

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2005
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2005
        So, unfortunately, has Jazz Oracle: http://www.jazzoracle.com/catalogue/BDW_8046.asp

        When I say "unfortunately", this is because two labels which I think are worthy of our support have both reissued Sweatman almost simultaneously. The Jazz Oracle is a double, which includes the entire 1935 session, two tracks from which were added to Scott's "Red Hot Jazz" site recently. It also has the benefit of including later sides, such as the "Battleship Kate", at times (wrongly) identified as a Freddie Keppard recording. The Archeophone concentrates on the early recordings. Samples of these are on Timeless "Ragtime to Jazz" series of 3, soon to be 4, CDs.

        The Jazz Oracle has the benefit of John R.T. Davies transfers and notes by Mark Berresford. The Archeophone also has very good notes by Steve Tracy, an expert on the Harlem renaissance.

        If you don't already have the Archeophone, you're in a real dilemma. I already have it and would recommend it wholeheartedly if it wern't for the Jazz Oracle, which I will now also buy.

        Kind regards,

        Michael

        > **Archeophone*
        > <http://www.archeophone.com/catalogue.php?cPath=21&osCsid=208d8dd723c744e52b77c5f31b3a9b59>
        > recently released an excellent CD of Wilber Sweatman's Columbia recordings.*
        >
        > http://www.archeophone.com/product_info.php?products_id=57

      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2005
          I'm glad to hear about the Oracle CD. Who would have believed that 44
          years after his death Wilbur Sweatman would receive such attention? He
          has been overlooked for too long. Coincidently I ran across a picture of
          Sweatman that I had not seen before this weekend. I was researching Gene
          Greene by looking through Variety magazine on microfilm when I came
          across it. Sweatman was doing well enough in December of 1912 to place a
          Christmas and New Years greeting with a photo of himself in Variety.
          It's similar to this picture http://www.redhotjazz.com/wswjssbnd.html
          but Sweatman is younger and is only playing two clarinets at once and
          wearing a light colored suit. Unfortunately I couldn't get a very good
          print out from the microfilm. The caption under the photo reads "Wilber
          C. Sweatman. "The Original Ragtime Clarinetist" featuring the playing of
          2Bb Clarinets at once. Booked Solid. Director Jo Paige Smith."

          Hats Off To Wilbur!
          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com
        • David N. Lewis
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2005
            Don't look now, but Archeophone has one coming out also, according to
            the Albany New release listing for April.

            Tim Gracyk was going to issue a Sweatman CD some years sgo, but he
            told me in 2001 that he'd decided he didn't want to put his family
            through the hardship of the cost of such a project and/or the
            possible fallout from any legal complication that might arise.

            Uncle Dave