Revivalists

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
      I heard most of the English revival bands in the 1950's, starting, in fact, with George Webb's Dixielanders in 1947 (I've also got the record George made with Bill Brunskill in 1996).
      I saw Graeme Bell when he visited England. He is still active at the age of 90, and only recently held a concert. His reed and trumpet man, Ade Monsbourgh died recently also at a good age.
      The bands I enjoyed the most (at the time, I hasten to add) were Humphrey Lyttelton, Freddie Randall, The Yorkshire Jazz Band, Ray Foxley and his Levee Ramblers.
      Funnily enough, the first revival 78 that I bought was by the Firehouse Five + 2.

      Cheers

      Bob Smith