Revivalists

  • Tony Standish
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
      Turk, Lu, Humph - anyone ever get to hear the Bell Band? They had quite a bit to do with what happened in Europe, and could outswing any band that Turk Murphy ever had!
      Tony Standish

    • Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
        Yes, Tony, I agree with you about Graeme Bell's Jazz Band. I only know
        him from a 10" lp on Angel Records (U.S.) where they do five originals,
        plus High Society, Cakewalkin' Babies and The Saints. I believe
        Lyttleton is a guest on the latter three. I have seen only one other
        Bell recording, I believe it was on Swaggie. Are there any sides now
        available on CD?

        Speaking of swinging trad bands, I know of none that swung as
        consistantly and as tastefully as the Doc Evans groups from the 1950's,
        mostly on Audiofile. Doc did one album (N.O.Festival on Columbia) with
        Turk Murphy, and I consider that album the best Murphy ever made.
      • millsbernard
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Standish" <mojohand@...> wrote:
          >Grahame Bell?..Believe it was an OZ Band? Good ..but not as good as Lu
          and Turk.....Remember the 'Dutch college of Swing' or something like
          that!!! AAh! All our yesterdays..Cheers!!
          > Turk, Lu, Humph - anyone ever get to hear the Bell Band? They had
          quite a bit to do with what happened in Europe, and could outswing any
          band that Turk Murphy ever had!
          > Tony Standish

        • Robert Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
            I heard most of the English revival bands in the 1950's, starting, in fact, with George Webb's Dixielanders in 1947 (I've also got the record George made with Bill Brunskill in 1996).
            I saw Graeme Bell when he visited England. He is still active at the age of 90, and only recently held a concert. His reed and trumpet man, Ade Monsbourgh died recently also at a good age.
            The bands I enjoyed the most (at the time, I hasten to add) were Humphrey Lyttelton, Freddie Randall, The Yorkshire Jazz Band, Ray Foxley and his Levee Ramblers.
            Funnily enough, the first revival 78 that I bought was by the Firehouse Five + 2.

            Cheers

            Bob Smith