Re: [RedHotJazz] West Coast Jazz

  • David Richoux
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
      Weren't they the ones who tried to recreate the music of Lewis
      Harmstrong and the the Kansas City Hot 8?

      Dave Richoux
      On Oct 3, 2006, at 9:09 AM, millsbernard wrote:

      > Anybody know anything of Turk Murphy Yerba Bueno Jazz Band..and Lou
      > Watters?

    • Gary
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
        Turk Murphy also recorded a couple of 10" Lps, as I remember. I think I have them in my collection.

        Gary
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
          Go to http://www/sftradjazz.org/ <http://www/sftradjazz.org/>

          It has all info you need and records.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:

          > Weren't they the ones who tried to recreate the music of Lewis
          > Harmstrong and the the Kansas City Hot 8?
          >
          > Dave Richoux
          > On Oct 3, 2006, at 9:09 AM, millsbernard wrote:
          >
          > > Anybody know anything of Turk Murphy Yerba Bueno Jazz Band..and Lou
          > > Watters?

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:

            > Weren't they the ones who tried to recreate the music of Lewis
            > Harmstrong and the the Kansas City Hot 8?
            >
            > Dave Richoux
            > On Oct 3, 2006, at 9:09 AM, millsbernard wrote:
            >
            > > Anybody know anything of Turk Murphy Yerba Bueno Jazz Band..and
            Lou
            > > Watters?

            Turk Murphy and his Yerba Buena Jazz Band played in San Francisco.
            Recording under the name of Lu Watters. I have 2 10" Lp records
            in my collection recorded in the early 1950s

            Gary

          • Scott Alexander
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
              Please see the SF Traditional Jazz Foundation:
              http://www.sftradjazz.org/articles.html
            • David Richoux
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
                There is a wealth of information on Lu Watters, Turk Murphy and the
                YBJB at this site: http://www.sftradjazz.org/articles.html

                some is free, more info is available if you join the organization.

                Dave Richoux

                On Oct 3, 2006, at 12:06 PM, Gary wrote:

                > Turk Murphy also recorded a couple of 10" Lps, as I remember. I
                > think I have them in my collection.

              • Jeffrey Jastram
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Yes, he did record some 10-inchers, which I also have around here somewhere.

                  In general, the personnel were: Lu Watters and/or Bob Scobey (cornets); Horne (clarinet); Murphy ('bone); Walter Rose (piano); Clancy Hayes and/or Ed(?) Bennett (banjo); Girsback or Lammi (bass); and Billy Dart (drums).

                  Turk Murphy also recorded a couple of 10" Lps, as I remember. I think I have them in my collection.

                  Gary

                  > Anybody know anything of Turk Murphy Yerba Bueno Jazz Band..and Lou
                  > Watters?

                • David Richoux
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Are you ALL suffering from irony deficiency?

                    that was maybe a somewhat lame attempt at humor - I have been playing
                    in jazz bands in the Bay Area for 30+ years and hosted a jazz radio
                    show for 23 years. I have played Earthquake McGoon's and worked with
                    many of the members of Turk's band (and even a few survivors of YBJB!)

                    anyway,

                    Dave Richoux
                    On Oct 3, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Gary wrote:

                    > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Weren't they the ones who tried to recreate the music of Lewis
                    >> Harmstrong and the the Kansas City Hot 8?
                    >>
                    >> Dave Richoux
                    >> On Oct 3, 2006, at 9:09 AM, millsbernard wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Anybody know anything of Turk Murphy Yerba Bueno Jazz Band..and
                    > Lou
                    >>> Watters?
                    >
                    > Turk Murphy and his Yerba Buena Jazz Band played in San Francisco.
                    > Recording under the name of Lu Watters. I have 2 10" Lp records
                    > in my collection recorded in the early 1950s
                    >
                    > Gary

                  • David N. Lewis
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                      I must confess, like Dave, I am completely mystified by this thread.
                      Lu Watters and the Yerba Buena are absolutely legendary - among the
                      VERY best of the revival groups, if not THE best.

                      I probably play their Mercury 78 of their recording of "Strut That
                      Thing" as often as any traditional jazz record I own. It kicks. If
                      you want to experience the spirit of the city of San Francisco before
                      its landscape became dominated by corporate monoliths, then the Yerba
                      Buena is a must.

                      I also have the four volumes of reissues on Good Time Jazz of Lu
                      Watters on single disc - not the box. I really like Volume 4, "On the
                      Air" which is taken from transcription service recordings averaging 2-
                      3 minutes in length. You can put that thing on auto repeat and play
                      it for days...

                      They may not belong to the time period proscribed by redhotjazz.com,
                      but boy could the Yerba Buena rock the house.

                      Uncle Dave Lewis

                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:

                      > Are you ALL suffering from irony deficiency?
                      >
                      > that was maybe a somewhat lame attempt at humor - I have been
                      playing
                      > in jazz bands in the Bay Area for 30+ years and hosted a jazz
                      radio
                      > show for 23 years. I have played Earthquake McGoon's and worked
                      with
                      > many of the members of Turk's band (and even a few survivors of
                      YBJB!)

                      > anyway,
                      >
                      > Dave Richoux
                      > On Oct 3, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Gary wrote:
                      >
                      > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, David Richoux <tubaman@> wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> Weren't they the ones who tried to recreate the music of Lewis
                      > >> Harmstrong and the the Kansas City Hot 8?
                      > >>
                      > >> Dave Richoux

                      > > Lou
                      > >
                      > > Turk Murphy and his Yerba Buena Jazz Band played in San Francisco.
                      > > Recording under the name of Lu Watters. I have 2 10" Lp records
                      > > in my collection recorded in the early 1950s
                      > >
                      > > Gary

                    • Mordechai Litzman
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                        After Turk Murphy's death a foundation was set up to preserve his legacy. I have a couple of CDs from the San Fransisco Traditional Jazz Foundation with early Turk material from 1937-1947 which are very enjoyable.
                        At the end of vol 2 ((SFTJF 106) is a bonus: four piano recordings with Jelly Roll Morton. Two are from 1938, a third is a hitherto unknown piano roll of the Pearls from 1924, but the fourth recording is what puzzles me. This is a piano roll that was discovered in 1999 which came without a label. The song is "Soap Suds" (Fickle Fay Creep). Several experts identify this recording as being played by Jelly himself. After listening to it I don't believe it is Jelly at all, especially since the left hand playing is poor and unlike Jelly. Would be interested to know if somebody concurs or has information or knowledge of this piano roll.

                        "David N. Lewis" <udtv@...> wrote: I must confess, like Dave, I am completely mystified by this thread.
                        Lu Watters and the Yerba Buena are absolutely legendary - among the
                        VERY best of the revival groups, if not THE best.

                        I probably play their Mercury 78 of their recording of "Strut That
                        Thing" as often as any traditional jazz record I own. It kicks. If
                        you want to experience the spirit of the city of San Francisco before
                        its landscape became dominated by corporate monoliths, then the Yerba
                        Buena is a must.

                        I also have the four volumes of reissues on Good Time Jazz of Lu
                        Watters on single disc - not the box. I really like Volume 4, "On the
                        Air" which is taken from transcription service recordings averaging 2-
                        3 minutes in length. You can put that thing on auto repeat and play
                        it for days...

                        They may not belong to the time period proscribed by redhotjazz.com,
                        but boy could the Yerba Buena rock the house.

                        Uncle Dave Lewis

                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:

                        > Are you ALL suffering from irony deficiency?
                        >
                        > that was maybe a somewhat lame attempt at humor - I have been
                        playing
                        > in jazz bands in the Bay Area for 30+ years and hosted a jazz
                        radio
                        > show for 23 years. I have played Earthquake McGoon's and worked
                        with
                        > many of the members of Turk's band (and even a few survivors of
                        YBJB!)

                        > anyway,
                        >
                        > Dave Richoux
                        > On Oct 3, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Gary wrote:
                        >
                        > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, David Richoux <tubaman@> wrote:
                        > >>
                        > >> Weren't they the ones who tried to recreate the music of Lewis
                        > >> Harmstrong and the the Kansas City Hot 8?
                        > >>
                        > >> Dave Richoux

                        > > Lou
                        > >
                        > > Turk Murphy and his Yerba Buena Jazz Band played in San Francisco.
                        > > Recording under the name of Lu Watters. I have 2 10" Lp records
                        > > in my collection recorded in the early 1950s
                        > >
                        > > Gary

                      • David W. Littlefield
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                          At 01:11 PM 10/04/06 +0000, Uncle Dave Lewis wrote:
                          >I also have the four volumes of reissues on Good Time Jazz of Lu
                          >Watters on single disc - not the box. I really like Volume 4, "On the
                          >Air" which is taken from transcription service recordings averaging 2-
                          >3 minutes in length. You can put that thing on auto repeat and play
                          >it for days...

                          I have a duplicate copy of the box set, in box, with book.
                          $50.00 postpaid.

                          Please reply off-list if you're interested.

                          Thanks.
                          --Sheik
                        • Martin
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                            My two-cents about Lu Watters and the Yerba Buena...

                            There is no doubt this band was at the vanguard of the revivalist
                            movement. By recreating (or imitating) Oliver's CJB, this group made way
                            for the numerous bands and festivals that still dot the landscapes of
                            the U.S., the U.K. and Europe.

                            This was a separate though parallel movement to the reserection and
                            diafication of Kid Rena, Bunk Johnson, George Lewis, Kid Ory, Sidney
                            Bechet, et al.

                            I collected YBJB recordings from the early 1950's when GTJ issued a
                            three-lp YBJB Story, and a 2-record Turk Murphy Story. They also issued
                            an extended 45 rpm recording (air check) of the YBJB from 1942 after Lu
                            and Scobey were in the armed forces and a young, soon-to-die trumpet
                            player held down that chair. His name was Benny Strickler, and he was
                            really fine. His melodic sense and behind-the-beat delivery were unusual
                            and much different from Lu or Bob Scobey. The tunes were Fidgety Feet,
                            Dippermouth, Jazzin Babies and Kansas City Stomps. I don't know if GTJ
                            included these sides in the YBJB boxed set, or if they have ever been
                            reissued, but they deserve to be.
                          • bernard mills
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                              RE Turk Murphy/Lu Watters..Many thanks for all the interest and Gen. I am a Brit coming to Trad Jazz in the early 50's Cut my teeth on Humph Lyttleton and progressed onwards. I remember Turk Murphy and his Jazz with great affection..Once again Cheers..Thanks a lot !!

                            • Robert Greenwood
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                                Not that I really want to promote the music of this rather leaden
                                ensemble, but subscribers in the UK who live anywhere near a branch of
                                Fopp may like to know that I have glimpsed in the Tottenham Court Road
                                branch of that outlet copies of the GTJ boxed set of the Lu Watters
                                YBJB for a mere fifteen quid. I personally wasn't tempted. They also
                                have the GTJ issue of the recordings made by Watters with Bunk Johnson
                                for three pounds. Now that I would recommend, although the issue on
                                Document is preferable.
                                Robert Greenwood
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                                  on 4/10/06 16:57, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@... wrote:

                                  > After Turk Murphy's death a foundation was set up to preserve his legacy. I
                                  > have a couple of CDs from the San Fransisco Traditional Jazz Foundation with
                                  > early Turk material from 1937-1947 which are very enjoyable.
                                  > At the end of vol 2 ((SFTJF 106) is a bonus: four piano recordings with Jelly
                                  > Roll Morton. Two are from 1938, a third is a hitherto unknown piano roll of
                                  > the Pearls from 1924, but the fourth recording is what puzzles me. This is a
                                  > piano roll that was discovered in 1999 which came without a label. The song is
                                  > "Soap Suds" (Fickle Fay Creep). Several experts identify this recording as
                                  > being played by Jelly himself. After listening to it I don't believe it is
                                  > Jelly at all, especially since the left hand playing is poor and unlike Jelly.
                                  > Would be interested to know if somebody concurs or has information or
                                  > knowledge of this piano roll.

                                  Mike Meddings says:

                                  BTW, on the Red Hot discussion board, the piano roll of "Soap Suds" for
                                  Capitol is definitely played by JRM.

                                  This has been confirmed by Jim Dapogny, Larry Gushee, Mike Montgomery and
                                  Frank Himpsl. See:

                                  http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/page7.html#capitol

                                  Haven't yet looked at it myself but I can't see how any of those named can
                                  possibly come nearer to proof than to say that they believe it is JRM!

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                                    on 4/10/06 23:29, Martin at martin@... wrote:

                                    > There is no doubt this band was at the vanguard of the revivalist
                                    > movement. By recreating (or imitating) Oliver's CJB, this group made way
                                    > for the numerous bands and festivals that still dot the landscapes of
                                    > the U.S., the U.K. and Europe.

                                    It'd be interesting to know whether there is any literature on the point,
                                    but I suspect that many of the pioneers of revivalism in France and Britain
                                    would indignantly repudiate any suggestion that they needed or used Lu
                                    Watters as an intermediary between the creators and their own recreations,
                                    or that he was in their vanguard.

                                    It is possible (just) that George Webb's band had somewhow contrived to hear
                                    Yerba Buena records, though I doubt much space was available for records
                                    from Californian private labels on the convoys, but Claude Luter and his
                                    mates across the Manche certainly cannot have known Lu Watters existed.

                                    In short, whatever Watters's pioneering role in the States, I think the
                                    Europeans did their own pioneering here.

                                    Following this line of thought at another tangent, many on this list will
                                    have heard Delmark's recent issue of the 'lost' Frank Melrose session of
                                    1939 or 1940. For my part I was disappointed at how "revivalist" it was.
                                    This was really Pete Daley's band and it owes much more to the inspiraions
                                    of Daley's later work that Kansas City Frank's earlier work. Daley, like
                                    Watters, was a graduate of minor-league dance bands in the very latest 20s
                                    (which brings him on topic here?) and there is a trend here.

                                    Passing thought: Daley was clearly unable to make up his mind how to spell
                                    his own name. If you prefer Dailey, fine. He used that too, also Daily.
                                    Let's not discuss it.

                                  • bernard mills

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                                        At 05:04 PM 10/05/06 +0100, you wrote:
                                        >Hi Rob! Don't agree with the 'Leaden ensemble' bit
                                        >
                                        >Robert Greenwood <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:
                                        > this rather leaden ensemble
                                        >Robert Greenwood

                                        The 2-beat nature of the West Coast style makes it seem "leaden" to folks
                                        who prefer/respond more to the 4=beat swing style of the Condonites. It's
                                        brighter, happier feel makes the body move very differently than the
                                        driving 4-beat, and the banjo and raggy piano appeal to a broader, and, I
                                        suspect, less sophisticated, audience than 4-beat jazz, as does the body of
                                        20s pop and novelty tunes in the repertoire.

                                        My basic reservation is the all-too-frequent 2-trumpet/cornet line--I much
                                        prefer the cleaner sound of a single cornet, especially since they usually
                                        seem play together rather than following the Oliver-Armstrong model...

                                        --Sheik
                                        David W. Littlefield, Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Washboard
                                        http://americanmusiccaravan.com DixFB VOL.2 (C, Bb) available
                                        "BOOK NEWS: click on "Books" click on "Book News"
                                        eMail: dwlit@...
                                      • silverleafjb
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                                          snip
                                          > There is no doubt this band was at the vanguard of the revivalist
                                          > movement. By recreating (or imitating) Oliver's CJB, this group made
                                          way > for the numerous bands and festivals that still dot the
                                          landscapes of > the U.S., the U.K. and Europe.

                                          I'm always surprised to read or hear references that the Watters and
                                          Murphy bands "recreated" or "imitated" Oliver. Watters very
                                          emphatically stated in print (and to me personally) that was not the
                                          point of the band. There is an interview where he clearly states "How
                                          can you copy the King Oliver band?" Watters concept was to use two
                                          trumpets (or cornets) partly because he liked the sound, and he wanted
                                          to play the tunes from the 1920s, some of which had been recorded by
                                          Oliver. But the band played and recorded a lot of numbers that weren't
                                          recorded by Oliver. BTW, the Oliver tunes the band played were all
                                          originally available as stock arrangements from Melrose Publishing. In
                                          addition, not very many people at that time had copies of the original
                                          recordings. None had been reissued and the originals were not easy to
                                          come by.

                                          As was mentioned in another post, Watters and Turk came out of the
                                          dance band scene of the 1920s and 30s, as did most of their
                                          colleagues, playing with bands that often had tuba rather than string
                                          bass, or a bassist that doubled. I believe Watters was attempting to
                                          grab a slightly different audience than most swing bands of the time
                                          simply by playing two beat with a tuba in the rhythm section. There
                                          were lots of people around in the 1940s who would have preferred
                                          dancing to Watters' music rather than, for example, Benny Goodman's
                                          band blasting away on a fast-tempo killer-diller. By having two
                                          trumpets, Watters could attempt to get some of the volume of a big
                                          band with a smaller combination, making it more financially viable. As
                                          it was, he had played in a conventional big band at Sweets Ballroom in
                                          Oakland a couple of years prior to his forming the Yerba Buena group
                                          (in 1937, and those recordings are available from the San Francisco
                                          Trad Jazz Foundation). And that band played quite a few 1920s numbers,
                                          in addition to playing popular tunes.

                                          Regarding Strickler, he was a favorite of Watters, and he was one of
                                          Turk's favorite trumpet players. On the boxed GTJ set, there are
                                          versions of "Muskrat Ramble" and "Trombone Rag" with Strickler that
                                          were previously unissued (that I helped supply for that set), and I
                                          believe one of the San Francisco Trad Jazz Foundation CDs has a
                                          previously unreleased "Ace in the Hole."

                                          Regarding the Watters band being "at the vanguard," this is not
                                          strictly the case. They were part of an ongoing interest in early
                                          jazz. Just some of the media attention at that time were articles on
                                          record collecting in Esquire magazine; publication of the book
                                          Jazzmen; recordings by Bob Crosby's band (especially the Bobcats)and
                                          by Eddie Condon's groups on Commodore; and a number of reissues of
                                          1920s recordings. I belive the only reason Watters gets a good deal of
                                          attention is simply due to the fact he was able to make a number of
                                          recordings, first for the Jazz Man label (based in LA) before WWII,
                                          then after WWII on his own labels (first West Coast, then Down Home).
                                          Other groups didn't have this opportunity until after WWII (with the
                                          exception of the Castle Jazz Band in Portland, with two 78 issues from
                                          recording sessions in 1944).

                                          BTW, regarding the Castle Jazz Band, that band was originally oriented
                                          more towards the Chicago style until the band's session from December
                                          1947, when leader Monte Ballou switched to banjo and cornetist/valve
                                          trombonist Bob Short switched to tuba.

                                          Cheers,
                                          Chris Tyle
                                        • john schott
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                            Chris, Excellent contribution, thanks.

                                            > I'm always surprised to read or hear references that the Watters and
                                            > Murphy bands "recreated" or "imitated" Oliver. Watters very
                                            > emphatically stated in print (and to me personally) that was not the
                                            > point of the band. There is an interview where he clearly states "How
                                            > can you copy the King Oliver band?" Watters concept was to use two
                                            > trumpets (or cornets) partly because he liked the sound, and he wanted

                                            [...]

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                              on 6/10/06 8:41, john schott at john@... wrote:

                                              > Chris, Excellent contribution, thanks.

                                              Hear, hear.

                                              I can't think of any way of not making this sound a bit pompous but it is an
                                              enormous relief to learn that what my ears tell me Watters was doing is what
                                              Watters thought he was doing.

                                              By contrast I think the early European revivalists were consciously engaged
                                              in "re-creating" what they heard on their records, and of course the Oliver
                                              Creole Band Gennetts were freely available in Britain (and pre-Nazi Europe),
                                              albeit in diabolical dubs whose deficiencies sometimes seem to be reflected
                                              in the music of the revivalist bands. Everyone remotely interested in jazz
                                              had heard them.

                                              The Graeme Bell band down under were engaged in an enterprise much more
                                              analagous to what Watters was doing, and there is a lot of testimony to how
                                              startled homegrown revivalists were when this freewheeling ensemble playing
                                              for dancers fetched up in London. Inadvertently, the Bells are the true
                                              fathers of British Trad are they not? Their records are also some of the
                                              most rewarding and enduring of the revivalist output.

                                            • Robert Greenwood
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                                David Littlefield has admirably articulated what I cannot get along
                                                with in the Lu Watters' YBJB (described once by Max Harrison as the
                                                Yerba Buena Yobs). Thanks, David. It's good to see mention on here of
                                                Doc Evans – a fine player. And the Bell Band were excellent. Lazy Ade
                                                Monsbourgh died very recently; a fact which went unreported (as far as
                                                I know) anywhere in the UK press who eagerly report in their obituary
                                                pages the demise of any jazz musician. The boxed set of LW I saw in
                                                Fopp consists, I think, of the various Yerba Buena JB GTJ albums/CDs.
                                                Fopp is a vaguely trendy-looking outlet selling mostly bargain priced
                                                CDs, DVDs, and paperback books for those who seek constantly to be
                                                entertained somewhere down the shallow end; although they do sell a
                                                fair number of jazz, blues, and classical music CDs.
                                                Robert Greenwood.
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                                  I sometimes read the archive of the dixieland jazz mailing list. Bill Haesler (it's a pity he doesn't post here as well) recently pointed out an article by Eddie Condon, of all people, on San Francisco trad , mainly Turk Murphy. It's on Jim Cullum's Riverwalk website: www.riverwalkjazz.org/site/News2?JServSessionIdr006=18wmbbgcn4.app14a&page=NewsArticle&id=5434&am
                                                  Incidentally, Condon put together a tune called "Duff Campbell's Revenge", named after one of the SF scenes's characters. It was recorded both by Condon and Murphy.

                                                  Wouldn't the earliest influence on British trad be George Webb? The earliest recordings, which I have on a George Buck issued LP predate the Bells' visits to the UK and were probably not influenced by Watters, due to lack of awareness of their existence. The tuba's also not exactly flexible - a legacy of the British brass band tradition, at a guess.

                                                  At this distance, it's difficult to do any of these early revivalist bands justice, since we tend to hear their flaws more than any of the contemporary listeners. But hidden in the recordings are redeeming features, such as Bob Helm's solos - the late Frank Powers really opened my ears to Helm, who sounds off-tune to many critics, like Pee Wee Russell - an acquired taste.

                                                  Cheers,
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                                    on 6/10/06 17:23, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

                                                    > Wouldn't the earliest influence on British trad be George Webb? The earliest
                                                    > recordings, which I have on a George Buck issued LP predate the Bells' visits
                                                    > to the UK and were probably not influenced by Watters, due to lack of
                                                    > awareness of their existence. The tuba's also not exactly flexible - a legacy
                                                    > of the British brass band tradition, at a guess.

                                                    What I had in mind was that it was the Bells who introduced music for
                                                    dancing. See p.150 of Humphrey Lyttelton's I Play As I Please. Lyttelton
                                                    agrees that the Bell band was in the Yerba Buena mould though he
                                                    characterizes the results rather differently from the way anyone has done
                                                    here. Which brings us round in a circle.

                                                    If I express the view that the commercial phenomenon that became British
                                                    Trad (and the tired mainstream in which its practitioners took refuge when
                                                    the bubble burst) owes much more to Joe Daniels and Freddie Randall than to
                                                    George Webb, I will need a triple thickness tin hat, so forget I said it.

                                                  • Bob Eagle
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                                      I'll be at the risk of causing great offence to some here. I came up during the Oz version of Britain's Trad Jazz craze, and I heard the Bell band (particularly on record but occasionally live when they visited Melbourne), and a number of worthwhile Melbourne bands.

                                                      It has struck me forcibly in later years how much the approach and "feel" of the Aussie bands resembled that of the best Western Swing bands, despite the obvious differences in instrumentation. Australian popular music has had the pervasive influence of hillbilly music, from Jimmie Rodgers through Hank Snow and beyond. Of course both sets (Bell etc and Light Crust Doughboys et al) were geared towards dancers, but I think it again demonstrates the interconnectedness of all good American music, even when filtered through players from Down Under.

                                                      Bob

                                                      Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
                                                      on 6/10/06 8:41, john schott at john@... wrote:

                                                      > Chris, Excellent contribution, thanks.

                                                      Hear, hear.

                                                      I can't think of any way of not making this sound a bit pompous but it is an
                                                      enormous relief to learn that what my ears tell me Watters was doing is what
                                                      Watters thought he was doing.

                                                      By contrast I think the early European revivalists were consciously engaged
                                                      in "re-creating" what they heard on their records, and of course the Oliver
                                                      Creole Band Gennetts were freely available in Britain (and pre-Nazi Europe),
                                                      albeit in diabolical dubs whose deficiencies sometimes seem to be reflected
                                                      in the music of the revivalist bands. Everyone remotely interested in jazz
                                                      had heard them.

                                                      The Graeme Bell band down under were engaged in an enterprise much more
                                                      analagous to what Watters was doing, and there is a lot of testimony to how
                                                      startled homegrown revivalists were when this freewheeling ensemble playing
                                                      for dancers fetched up in London. Inadvertently, the Bells are the true
                                                      fathers of British Trad are they not? Their records are also some of the
                                                      most rewarding and enduring of the revivalist output.

                                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                    • David Richoux
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                                        Going the same way in a slightly different direction - when a major
                                                        FM Rock station in San Francisco presented a 3 day "History of Rock
                                                        in SF" show - the very first song they played was YBJB's "Annie
                                                        Street Rock" - to my ears it fit right in with the late 1940's R&B
                                                        and other "pre-rock." Again, YBJB was geared to teen age and young
                                                        adult dancers as much as the slightly older "listeners" of the
                                                        previous generation.

                                                        Dave Richoux