J Neal Montgomery record

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hello Mike,

      I've cleaned up quite a few 78's over the years, but yours sounds pretty bad. As you say "how about plain old soap and water?". Don't use plain old soap, because this is alkaline (pH= c. 3). I use washing-up detergent after checking that the pH is virtually neutral (pH about 7). Use a softish brush and, after wetting the whole of the groove area, brush parallel to the grooves while holding the record vertically just over a soft flat surface (in case you drop the record). Rinse and repeat the washing and rinsing until you're satisfied the record's as clean as you can get it. Avoid wetting the labels as much as possible as some may loosen with prolonged wetting.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards

      Bob Smith